Beef and Pork Ribs with a side of Brisket Pinto's

Kevin James

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
KJ, Renegade Pit BBQ
I decided since today is the first day of spring it would only be fitting to celebrate by cooking some good BBQ (not like I really need a reason, but hey… any excuse will do lol). I decided to do some beef ribs so I went to Costco last night and got a twin pack of beef chuck short ribs, and I took a slab of pork St. Louise ribs out of the freezer to defrost as well… I figured might as well do both… why not? I also decided I might as well make a new batch of brisket pinto beans and BBQ sauce while I’m at it.

So I got my Kat offset all cleaned up this morning, then proceeded to trim some of the fat off the top of the beef ribs and got them seasoned with some SPG while the smoker was coming up to my preferred temp of 275. The pork ribs also got trimmed and hit with some SPG to keep them simple but I added just a sprinkle of some cane sugar for a little sweetness.

Once the smoker was up to temp the beef ribs went on at about 1:30, and I was planning for about a 6 hour cook (although obviously they’re done when they probe tender). Then I got a couple crock pot’s out to start the pinto beans and BBQ sauce (just to baste the pork ribs with).
The pork ribs went on at about 4:30, and the beef ribs got wrapped in butcher paper once I was satisfied with the bark, which was about an hour later at 5:30 (they temped at about 180 at this point), then the pork ribs got a wrap in foil at 7:30 after 3 hours in the smoke.

The beef ribs were done at about 8:00 and probing tender at about 206… so just about 30 minutes later than I predicted which wasn’t bad. I had let the pit temp get down a little lower to 250ish, so I think they would have been right on time if I had kept it up at 275. Oh well. I sat them on the counter to rest (still in the butcher paper) while I focused on the pork ribs, which also took a little longer and finished by 9:00. I basted the pork ribs with the sauce and put them back on the pit for about 10 minutes to let the sauce tack up. Then I hit them with just a little bit of home-made rib candy (pineapple chipotle) and let them rest.

Dinner was served at 9:30 and I have to say I was really happy with how everything turned out. Both the beef ribs and the pork ribs were perfectly tender and super juicy.

And now for the pics!

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a busy day slaving over a hot BBQ ��
Looks like it was worth the effort, though, Both ribs look totally mouthwatering - what did you sauce the pork ribs with?
Hope your guests hadn’t resorted to cannibalism by 9:30PM. They would have missed out.

Sounds like you had a busy day slaving over a hot BBQ ��
Looks like it was worth the effort, though, Both ribs look totally mouthwatering - what did you sauce the pork ribs with?
Hope your guests hadn’t resorted to cannibalism by 9:30PM. They would have missed out.

No lol, while 9:30 is definitely late I knew this was going to be a late one from the get go, so we planned ahead on that and ate something around 5 to tide us over. You can't rush good BBQ.

The pork ribs were basted with my own BBQ sauce which is just a very basic sauce, and then I finished them with a little bit of my own take on a rib candy glaze (Pineapple Chipotle).

By the way... I see your from San Jose. I was born and raised in San Jose and lived there until I moved to the Sacramento area about 5 years ago.

You absolutely nailed both cooks. Your goal is not set pretty high for the rest of the season :-D

I can see why you were happy with the way everything turned out. It looks fantastic!

Back