BBQ costs

Sorry for the follow-up newb question to these posts, but if yall are spending around 1k on each comp, how much of that would you say you're getting back from getting calls? I realize some comps you may not get anything back, while you may be GC at the next, so I was just curious on a ballpark percentage. Hearing these costs definitely makes me hesitant to enter the comp world, even with splitting the costs with a few buds.

This is the first year we are just about break even overall from our winnings. I finance everything and after our last even (our 17th this year) we are probably just a few hundred shy of breaking even. Having this passion pay for itself is nice this year. I hope it can continue :becky:.

Yeah, we've never won a dime in these. We're getting better, and after this year, we've only done 8 comps overall, got a couple calls, but of course they only paid top 5 instead of top 10.

Really, if you have 5 guys (like we do), it's about 150-200 max per person per comp, which we can handle. $150 to spend a weekend with the guys and eat a bunch of smoked food? That's a bargain in my book.

That being said, we'd love to find some sponsors, and actually have one for the Royal the last 2 years, but apparently they want you to be "successful" or "winning," lol.

We do Backyard mainly. Our cost has averaged between $350 to $600 depending on entry fee and extra categories. Keep in mind, we already had most gear required for a comp and really didn't have to buy extra gear. Most Backyard comps are chicken and ribs sometimes, pork butt.

We consider ourselves to be successful if we break even on operating costs. (Meat, supplies, travel costs.) We have managed to do that the last couple of years, but that doesn't include the cost (depreciation) of the RV and the cookers.

Bear in mind we are a halfway decent team, and got some sort of payout in 15 of the 17 contests we have done so far this year. You have to cook a lot of contests first just to get to the point where you get regular calls.

I think the only teams that do better than break even do other things such as such sell products, make paid TV appearances, teach classes, and leverage sponsors. (Many teams do those things and don't make make money at this either.)

So aim for break even, but realize it's a hobby and 99.5% of the registered KCBS teams will spend more than they take in.

Back