Contest Results Battle of the BBQ Brethren

619.4286 is great !!!! :clap2: ... Will you love it as much when you move down to Memphis and vicinity and it gets you a middle of the pack placing ?? :wink:

Should I post the picks of your muffin pan chicken prep (round and square trays) :confused: ?

And your concept of me not being able to cook as well down south is f'd up too. Why are you such an arse?

Nah, I didn't even get a dollar just another trophy for the big box of BBB trophies. I got nothing but the honor of getting made fun of by Vinny who won't even cook.:boxing:

Me and the Chubbies worked out the trophy sharing!

We got ya covered Clint!!!!!:thumb::becky:

Great venue and a great weekend!!!! Everyone was really awesome as usual. A big thanks to Rich for putting on a great event.

There was a tie for RGC? Wow. I've never seen that before.

Did they just split the $ from 2nd and 3rd?

Eric

nice job fellas, but just askin',

a tie is a tie, 2nd and 3rd is 2nd and 3rd.

what gives?

i apologize if its a sore subject and just ignore me.

We got ya covered Clint!!!!!:thumb::becky:

Great venue and a great weekend!!!! Everyone was really awesome as usual. A big thanks to Rich for putting on a great event.

Thanks brother man and congrats again! What a great weekend and having it end in a tie is so appropriate. Every BBB has a story and this is it.

nice job fellas, but just askin',

what gives?

i apologize if its a sore subject and just ignore me.

Not at all. I was just shocked (and barely functional) when I looked at the scores and me and Chubby Hubby laughed about how crazy it is. I tried to get a dollar from them as a settlement and didn't so we struck a joint custody thing for the big arse trophy.

Since most of the Battle of the BBQ Brethren awards live at my house I thought I should get a bit more time but we're working through it. ;)

what gives?

I don't know, but my assumption is that it is similar to the tie break rules for the categories.

If everything else is equal after all tie breaks systems are utilized and there is still a tie, there is a computerized 'coin flip' that determines who placed higher.

It would be cool to know how it is determined, but I'm just taken aback by how rare that is. Pretty freaky.

Eric

I don't know, but my assumption is that it is similar to the tie break rules for the categories.

If everything else is equal after all tie breaks systems are utilized and there is still a tie, there is a computerized 'coin flip' that determines who placed higher.

It would be cool to know how it is determined, but I'm just taken aback by how rare that is. Pretty freaky.

Eric

Nah, we'll leave it unless you really care. I'm kind of trying to forget the zero cash I took home for 4 calls and 2/3 overall. We're good.

If there is a tie the KCBS computer programs breaks the tie, I believe starting with the thrown out 6th scores and going from there. Congrats to all who walked!

Congrats to all! Had an awesome time this weekend. Thanks to my teammates Muzzle and BBS for all the laughs. For a new venue/organizer things ran very smooth. A big Thank You and round of applause to the Suffolk County PAL for putting this on.

BTW, that pot luck saturday night was the best one I have ever been to at a contest . I think im still stuffed. Congrats to Bad Ass, the 2010 winner of the Sledneck Memorial 13th place chicken.

Competition sizzles at barbecue cookoff
Originally published: August 7, 2010 10:58 PM
By KAITLYN DEFOTO kaitlyn.defoto@newsday.com

QUICK SUMMARY
The event features 36 teams cooking off to raise money for the Suffolk County PAL Children with Special Needs program.
image.JPG

Photo credit: Newsday/Alejandra Villa | Scott Johnson of Smokinstein and his Smoking Bride works on his pork ribs during today's 4th Annual Battle of the BBQ Brethren in Holtsville. (Aug. 7, 2010)
galleries

"It's not all about the brisket, it's about the friends you make."

That was the view of Clint Cantell, 40, of Garden City, one of the competitors at this weekend's fourth annual Kansas City Barbecue Society-sanctioned New York State BBQ Championship, a two-day contest and fundraiser that began at the Suffolk County Police Athletic League Sports Complex in Holtsville yesterday.

Cantell said he bonded with fellow competitors when he flew to Kansas City for the American Royal - an invitation-only barbecue competition of grand champion teams - with just one suitcase, and was forced to borrow all his utensils, cookers and rubs for the competition. "They become your family away from home," he said of fellow competitors yesterday.

The event features 36 teams cooking off to raise money for the Suffolk County PAL Children with Special Needs program and the New Interdisciplinary School in Yaphank, which offers education to children with developmental disabilities from birth through age 5, according to Rich Gorgone of the Suffolk PAL, who organized the event with BBQ Brethren.

Judges score the teams in four categories - chicken, ribs, pork and brisket - each judged on appearance, texture, and taste, said Phil Rizzardi, 50, of Nesconset, who founded the BBQ Brethren in 2003. There is more than $8,000 in prizes up for grabs.

"Win, lose or draw, it's a whole lot of fun," said Gary Kowalski, 52, of Hicksville, who has competed with his family team for five years in various states.

"These people would give the shirts off their backs, but it might have some barbeque sauce on it," Rizzardi said of the charity event. He described BBQ Brethren, which he said has 1,700 members from 190 countries, as a brotherhood that "promotes the art of low and slow barbecue."

During Bucks for Bones, the people's choice rib competition yesterday, attendees purchased tickets from the PAL for a dollar per rib. Those who purchased at least five tickets were eligible to vote for their favorite. There is also a $5 donation per vehicle for parking. All proceeds go to the program and school, said Gorgone, 39, of Bohemia.

Competition gets more serious today when teams vie to see who will be the reigning grand champion and eligible to represent New York in the American Royal in October.

Rizzardi, competing in the Brothers in Smoke team, will watch his barbecues through the night on computer screens that give temperature readings. "You cook the meats up to 18 hours but then have a 10-minute window to impress the judges with perfection," he said. "The best in the world can be beaten by a rookie; it all comes down to the taste buds."

Barbecue teams compete in 2-day tourney in Holbrook
Originally published: August 8, 2010 7:09 PM
Updated: August 8, 2010 9:48 PM
By DENISE M. BONILLA denise.bonilla@newsday.com

image.jpg

Photo credit: Newsday / Alejandra Villa | Rocco Camastro of Shake n Bake ribs serves pork ribs during the 4th-Annual Battle of the BBQ Brethren in Holtsville. (Aug. 7, 2010)
galleries

For Matt Scheiner and Paul Polichronakis, the goal of Sunday's barbecue competition was simple: to place anywhere except dead last.

"We're just two guys who like to cook in our backyards," said Scheiner, 29.

The high school friends from Massapequa, who dubbed themselves Moosehead BBQ, were among 36 teams that competed meat-to-meat at the 2010 Battle of the BBQ Brethren held at the Suffolk County Police Athletic League Sports Complex in Holtsville.

The two-day event was the fourth annual Kansas City Barbecue Society-sanctioned New York State BBQ Championship The teams battled one another for $8,000 in prizes as well as a chance to take part in the granddaddy of all barbecue competitions, the Jack Daniels World Championship Invitational Barbecue in Lynchburg, Tenn.

The event also was a fundraiser for PAL's Children with Special Needs program and the New Interdisciplinary School in Yaphank, a private school for children with developmental disabilities, said Rich Gorgone, special needs coordinator for PAL. Gorgone helped organize the event with BBQ Brethren, a barbecue association that boasts 17,000 members from 190 countries, according to founder Phil Rizzardi, 50, of Nesconset.

A team of judges ate through 2 1/2 pounds each of ribs, pork, chicken and brisket, judging them on appearance, texture and taste, Rizzardi said. More than 2,000 showed up on Saturday to taste the different ribs, he said, estimating that an equal amount showed up Sunday.

Rizzardi said a big part of the Brethren is having more experienced teams mentor the newcomers. The Moosehead guys saw this firsthand when they were taken under the wing of a fellow competitor, Baldwin Butt Burners, a team that has won awards for five years.

Kathy Burke, 51, who with her husband, Jimmy, make up the Burners, said the newbies did well.

Turns out Moosehead finished 20th; the Burners 17th.

"You want to encourage people to get involved in this," she said. "This is not cutthroat. It's good, fun competition."

Lets not forget to congratulate Skip and Julie of Swamp Pit on their first ever catagory win in a KCBS Contest with a first in Pork. Skip and Julie also got second in Ribs. Congratulations Swamp Pit!

BTW, that pot luck saturday night was the best one I have ever been to at a contest . I think im still stuffed. Congrats to Bad Ass, the 2010 winner of the Sledneck Memorial 13th place chicken.

What a weekend. Meeting with the teams and seeing the folks again was great. We were shocked to win 13th Place Chicken. What a stunner to hear our name called. After we got "The Chicken" the handshakes and congratulations from the other teams was appreciated. Can't wait until next years BBB to defend the title. A big thanks to Phil for making this event happen (not in October) and Sled for being the inspiration for the award. Congrats to all who walked.

13th Place Chicken

Bad Ass is truly honored to have taken home the 13th place chicken award. We would like to thank the academy, Sled for setting the bar so high, and of course the judges, without whom we may have come in 14th. We hope to live up to the awesome responsibility that comes with the trophy.

We had a great time and especially enjoyed talking to the other teams and of course the Brethren.

Congratulations to all the teams who walked.

Chris

Attachments

• 20100808 - 006 - BBQ Brethren.jpg
    20100808 - 006 - BBQ Brethren.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 20100808 - 014 - BBQ Brethren.jpg
    20100808 - 014 - BBQ Brethren.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 125
Congratulations to all who walked! It was a great contest and a great weekend. Many thanks to Richie, the PAL, Phil and the many volunteers that made it happen. :clap2:

Back