Battle Box vs WSM

samfsu

is one Smokin' Farker
i have two 18.5" WSMs. I am thinking about getting a battle box. Would I still want to keep the WSM or is the BB equally good for small cooks, meaning 3 slabs of BB OR ABOUT 60 wings, as it is for large cooks?

The BB is right at home with small cooks. It is a solid well thought out cooker. Large enough to cook for a crowd but yet not so large that it's a fuel hog. It's a great all around unit.

Others have pretty much said it already. My Battlebox uses less coal than my WSM did. Typically I needed 10-12 lbs on the WSM for a 7-8 hour cook, but only need about 6-7 lbs on the Battlebox for the same time, and I can fit a lot more meat in the BB if I needed to cook a lot of food at once.

Like comparing a corvette to a skateboard. You'll end up cleaning your wsm's and putting them in a corner and leaving them of tailgate/camping/picnic usage.

OK what about a Half Pint? I thinking that might suit my needs which are to cook mostly for the family, 50-60 wings at a time or a brisket or 3 racks of ribs, you get the picture. But I want to be able to cook more on occasion. Maybe for 10-15. THoughts?

To each his own, but I think the BB is the more all around unit of the two. Some long packers exceed the length of the half pint. It's a fine smoker for sure but a tad small. The BB just fits the bill perfect for what you are wanting to accomplish.

Thanks for replying. Trying to decide if i can stretch the budget or if the half pint will be ok. :)

Thanks for replying. Trying to decide if i can stretch the budget or if the half pint will be ok. :)

If you can swing it, go with the battlebox. I was going to get the battlebox and somehow decided I'd get the pint just in case I wanted more room. Now I wish I had gone even bigger.

I originally started out with a $1k budget because the most I had cooked at once was 3 briskets. Ended up nearly doubling that and a few months after receiving it I ended up cooking 8 briskets. You just never know. I was so glad I went with the model that could fit 12 briskets. Save up if you can or keep an existing cooker just in case you need the extra capacity. Running 2 cookers is a little more complicated but it works.

Back