Baking soda and ground beef?

If by extra tasty you mean that metallic taste, then sure.
Jokes aside, i use a very tiny bit to tenderize thinly sliced beef for stir fry's, but it definitely doesnt improve taste, lol.

If by extra tasty you mean that metallic taste, then sure.
Jokes aside, i use a very tiny bit to tenderize thinly sliced beef for stir fry's, but it definitely doesnt improve taste, lol.
The article's take, not mine since I've never tried putting baking soda in ground meat.

Interesting you bring up metallic taste. I taste that in table salt. Baking soda is loaded with sodium.

I use baking soda and vinegar when doing a deep clean on my toilets.

I've used it on pork belly skin.
Let us know if you give it a try Erik! :grin:

Not going there. Perfectly fine with my favorite sea salt.

Beside saltiness, what does it add to the skin?

I don't think baking soda will add saltiness. I like you, salt the skin, boil, then deep fry for pork rinds. Or on a larger scale porchetta in the Turkey deep fryer.

Never tried it with ground meat, but baking soda is what Chinese restaurants use to tenderize thin cut chicken & beef. Google velveting meat.
Did that and the first thing that came up was cornstarch.

Baking soda will lower the pH of food which promotes browning (carmelization of meat sugars aka the myard reaction). It is a pretty common trick used in modernist cuisine.

Never tried it with ground meat, but baking soda is what Chinese restaurants use to tenderize thin cut chicken & beef. Google velveting meat.

This is exactly right and the amount you use is quite important. I over did it once and it was so bitter and metallic we couldn't eat it.

I don't use it anymore.

I just used 12tsp in 40lbs ground meat (50/50 beef&pork) to make sausages. (cevaps)
In cooking the sausages - the baking soda will plump the sausage, giving it a softer bite.
They are juicy, soft and tender. There's no way you can taste the baking soda in it.

Back