Back in the saddle again!

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
While it's not like I've not been grilling or smoking at all since the surgery in October, I haven't really done any large cooks until this past weekend.

I didn't realize how much I've missed it until I was in the thick of it.

I'm doing a dinner tonight for my local Knights of Columbus so I pre-cooked a menu for that (pork, beans, slaw and bread pudding) and Mrs. Wampus and I put the word out to locals that I'd be firing up the smoker earlier in the week.

I fired up the gravity feed on Friday night, injected 8 pork butts with Chris Lilly's pork injection, rubbed em down with Big Wampus's Sweet & Spicy rub, slow smoked em overnight with cherry. Double wrapped in butcher paper in the morning and they all came off after about 14 hours.

A neighbor asked for a couple smoked whole chickens for a Mother's Day gathering on Saturday so I brined a couple of birds overnight, rubbed with Montreal Chicken seasoning and smoked them with apple on the UDS at 350 and had it timed to a tee for pickup at 2:00 along with a couple lbs of pulled pork.

In the morning I'd also smoked a couple of maple fatties that eventually went into a double batch of Big Wampus's Award Winning Peach Bourbon Baked Beans (for tonight's dinner) that got smoked for 3 hours after putting together.

After the chicken came off, I hot smoked a salmon fillet that I'd cured for 4 hours in a brown sugar cure after marinating in dark rum. We took that to Mom's on Sunday for the family's Mother's Day gathering.

While not in the smoker, I also made up a double batch of Big JT's Bread Pudding (that has won countless awards and many 180 scores in comps) and cooked that in the oven.

After all that was done cooking and the pork had a nice rest in a cooler and Wampus had a nice nap, I pulled all the pork, reseasoned and panned it up for an overnight rest in the fridge. After I got back from Mom's on Sunday, I portioned and vacuum sealed all the pork.

No pics, but I can promise you it all went off like clockwork and was most excellent.

I've already dropped off the food for tonight's dinner at the Church and will start rewarming it slowly immediately after work in the kitchen for dinner tonight at 6. I can't wait to see the smiles on their faces!

OH what a glorious thing, this BBQ "hobby" is that I've come to love.

Happy to be a part of this place....where it all started some 7 years ago!

Wampus is a happy man indeed!

good to see you back on here. also really nice to see that you are getting back into things really slowly. you don't want to get carried away and cook a bunch of things all at once.:wink:

You were gone??? Vote for Moose!! Er-uh wait a minute, I may have made a mistake. Carry on.

Good to see ya Wamp! Really glad you're feeling better! :clap2:

So this bread pudding - would there be a recipe available or is it secret stuff? :spy:

Most important it sounds like you are happy and enjoying the cook.

I nearly choked when I saw a post from Wampus on page 1.
I clicked on it figuring it had to have been someone bumping an old thread.
Nope.
A new thread! Good to see you post, and glad to hear your cooking. Excellent news. Would love to try that bread pudding. Maybe next time you, Chambers and I do a charity cook?

Good to see ya Wamp! Really glad you're feeling better! :clap2:

So this bread pudding - would there be a recipe available or is it secret stuff? :spy:

Well....pretty secret. Of course, I didn't do the desserts at comps...."Lady" is the dessert champ.

...and I don't want her after me.

Lurkers are present here ya-know! :becky:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back