Asientos...questions

scp

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Barry
I love to go to local Carniceria's for prepared carne asada, carnitas and pollo asada etc. I am in Arizona for the winter and they have an abundance here.

I went to my favorite Carniceria to pick up some fresh made tortillas and saw what looked like refried beans in a tub close to their homemade salsa. It had a sign indicating Asientos. I asked a lady working their if they were refrieds. I know very little spanish and she knew even less english. Nope they are Asientos....me...whats that...her...umm chicharrones and made a chopping motion...me... ground up chicharrones? Yes.

I knew what chicharrones were but never had any until this trip to AZ..omg...damn tasty. My new fav street taco.

Now my question is...anybody have any experience with Asientos? Google was very little help. How are they used? If they are made from lucious chicharrones they gotta be good.

Anybody?

The local grocery stores have tubs of Asientos on the shelves with their chicharrons. It is the thick settled "fat" in the bottom of the pot after frying chicharrons or frying pig lard. It settles to the bottom of the pot after cooling.
The ladies scoop it into tubs and sell it for smearing on thick corn tortillas and other dishes. It's pretty tasty but probably not the healthiest thing to eat. :grin:

If you want it to be healthy, you just scoop it out of the tub into your mouth and avoid the carbs! More Asientos please!

The local grocery stores have tubs of Asientos on the shelves with their chicharrons. It is the thick settled "fat" in the bottom of the pot after frying chicharrons or frying pig lard. It settles to the bottom of the pot after cooling.
The ladies scoop it into tubs and sell it for smearing on thick corn tortillas and other dishes. It's pretty tasty but probably not the healthiest thing to eat. :grin:

Aha...I knew someone would know. Should have guessed who it would be.

Thanks Jeanie!

HMMM, MY wife is from Mexico and I have never heard of these!

I live in Texas and have a La Michoacana store right down the street. I'll have to ask for some!! We already buy the fresh rendered lard there.

So is it speckled lard essentially? Lard with bacon bits? Sounds like it'd be great on toasted bread with some real garlic and a pinch of salt.

Back