Are You influenced by "influencers"

I watch youtube "influencers", and then formulate my own opinion on the subject at hand.

I live an die by what the influencers say.

I know it's the truth because its on the internet, so it must be true.

I know that 99.9% of all good barbecue is done on a Traeger pellet grill. I also know that to get the ultimate barbecue you are searching for, you must use Traeger pellets with said grill. You want to enhance the flavor of your barbecue? Everyone knows (everyone, even you) that the only way to enhance the flavor further is by using Traeger rub products. And don't even think of doing the flippity flip without using Traeger BBQ tools. And you might as well barbecue while naked if you don't have the proper Traeger apron, cooking mitts, and splash pad for the decks. I also know that all temp gauges are inferior and inaccurate, except the Traeger thermometer.

Am I influenced by the influencers?

Not at all.

I know that 99.9% of all good barbecue is done on a Traeger pellet grill. I also know that to get the ultimate barbecue you are searching for, you must use Traeger pellets with said grill. You want to enhance the flavor of your barbecue? Everyone knows (everyone, even you) that the only way to enhance the flavor further is by using Traeger rub products. And don't even think of doing the flippity flip without using Traeger BBQ tools. And you might as well barbecue while naked if you don't have the proper Traeger apron, cooking mitts, and splash pad for the decks. I also know that all temp gauges are inferior and inaccurate, except the Traeger thermometer.

Not at all.

not a fan of youtube are we? lol

i will agree you cant just take whatever they say to be the end all be all...but there sure is alot of good info out there, even if sometimes the vids are just fun to watch someone make something interesting

Paid influencers, no.

I am a 3rd generation Weber kettle guy, however.
I've also given several as gifts.

Are You influenced by "influencers"

Well, the posse has definitely influenced and upped my joke game… and if the Mad Scientist were to walk off a cliff, I’d probably follow him. Other than that, nah.
giphy.gif

Not at all.

LMMFAO!!!!:grin::grin::grin::grin: THIS ^^^^^^^^^!!!!

In all seriousness, I may watch a vid here and there. Depending on the content, if you try a recipe, a technique, or whatever, does that not mean you have been "influenced" to an extent? If it's a tip or trick that helps, works, etc then good deal. Have I been persuaded to maybe buy a product I thought would benefit and be useful......a time or two. I find some "influencers" full of sheet and even more full of themselves and not helpful at all.

My daughter is rocking club and high school volleyball. I create her highlight reels and manage her 3 social media accounts for volleyball only.............hopefully a college coach might see her and offer a scholly some day...............FARK, does that make me an influencer! Maybe so. HAHA. Some stuff out there is good. Some is just smoke up the old pooper!

Just my .02.

Bob

Last edited:
So, when did the word influencer become such a big part of our world?

Now what was the original question again?

Think back all those years ago when BBQ pitmasters began. Offset smokers, or at least wood and charcoal. Big thing was starting fires and then managing those fires. Some really cool need a shovel for real BBQ cooking. Battling the elements, battling the meat, the equipment just a whole bunch of things. Beer drinking, lighter fluid, trash talking, rumors of boot guns. Good times. Good times that I'm guessing won't be back if you're representing a "Boss" I mean everyone with a Boss eventually has to answer. Now take us Brethren here who are beholden to no one we can mix, match all aspects.

And there it is. Thank y'all for carrying me to the end zone.
With influencers there is minimal to no Beer drinking, lighter fluid nor trash talking. Pure human emotion has been muted.

I think I'll go watch that 90 minute Baby Back Ribs oven video

To help keep the thread OT...........some early influencers for me were Justin Wilson and Steve Raichlen. I think Steve was a PBS influencer before youtube was even a thing. Most recently are guys like Arnie Tex and Stalekracker. Not so much in buying their products.........yet! But good tips and tricks and I do plan to try their rubs etc soon.

Bob

So, when did the word influencer become such a big part of our world?

Now what was the original question again?

Influencers have always been around, but folks didn't use that term. My wife loves classic TV and there were some episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies where they were eating Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Smoking Camel Cigarettes, etc. They were among the first influencers.

Influencer is a tough term to peg down.

Paid social media content creators have opened up avenues for products to get in front of consumers directly.

This can certainly be corrupted by creators and advertisers using various techniques to drive interest in products. This happens all the time.

I'd add that "celebrity" and talking from suspect "authority" has been going on in advertising since the beginning.

The delivery method of modern social media might seem particularly slimy, but it's not too different from how media has always "Influenced" most of us

Influencer, influential, product placement by either.

Again me showcasing my stuff versus me showcasing your stuff for a benefit I assume, perhaps just friends.

Back