Are You influenced by "influencers"

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I'm thinking I've never bought a cooker due to a paid "influencer". They've made me ponder my lineup, Tiernan SOB, nope- Primo Oval XL, nope- 2 Oklahoma Joe's, nope - Pit Boss Austin XL, nope.
So where does an influencer, influence my life? Cooking. I watch, I learn, I try things. Work in what works and disregard the rest. I don't take notes. Receipts are non existent. MSU FTW. But I don't criticize, seldom comment if something hits me sideways. I love trying new fuels. But an influencer influencing one brand over another doesn't stop me from trying others. Same with rubs. I enjoy that part.
Lawry's is now prized as the hidden secret of Texas BBQ. I've had Lawry's in my house most of my life. Like kindergarten. Perhaps the way I was raised. But if I told my Mom little Johnny has one. My mother, "well if little Johnny was eating a bowl of chicken ship would you want a bowl to?"

Fork in the road. Take it

For me, there are two types of influencers:
One that teaches and shares their opinion on things or subjects that I may actually be interested in,
And those that are just out to make a quick buck by trying to get the most views or subscribers and not doing any real work. It's pretty much like social media, the BBQ Brethren may fall under that heading, but it is far and away better and offers more intelligent insight than the other SM sites.

I don't even know who most of the current "influencers" are. Never watch any videos unless I'm looking for info on how to cook something specific, then I'll click on something that Google sends me to. I still prefer blog posts about that kind of stuff. Most of the videos I find quite annoying as I think they just like to hear themselves talk, so you have to keep clicking to find the relevant part you're looking for.

I don't follow anyone on youtube, but i do search for specific things i want to do or cook. I can't stand some of the obnoxious youtubers in BBQ. They come off as try hards.

Nope!

I find them all annoying, well except Jess, but I’ve only tried one of her cooking tricks, but that doesn’t stop me from watching her reels…

Seriously if you only learn one thing from her, her video on how to select a ribeye is awesome.

There is a distinction in my mind between the owner of a company being visual and active in the marketing of their products and a non owner of celeb status -hired to convince others to try the product.

Define "Influencer".
If you are talking about YouTube and Instagram stars, nope.
If you are talking about top posters here, yep.
If you are talking about TV stars (e.g. Myron Mixon, Moe Cason, Aaron Franklin), sometimes.

I watch YouTube videos and enjoy many of them.

The problem with the YouTube crowd is that they follow the same arc. They rise to fame and gather followers. The more they grow, the more demand is put on them for content. They eventually run out of ideas and resort to gimmicks and promotions. People say they "sold out", but you can only get so many clicks for brisket, rib, and comp BBQ videos. Then they devolve into product tests or cooking recipes.

as soon as i saw the babybackmaniac video on his LSG Santa Maria, i begun to think its something i wanted, and then when i saw smokyribs video, i KNEW its what i wanted. and the order was made! so consider me influenced!

No one person (btw: I hate videos). If I see a multitude of the brethren excited about something then they are my influencers. I only visit a handful of sites regularly where I think the people are genuine. No FB, IG, SNAP, TicToc, etc...

No one person (btw: I hate videos).

I hate when the recipe is in the video and not in the description. These influencers are either that lazy, or they are forcing you to watch the video. Then you are stuck pausing the video every step to write it all down.:frusty: :mad2:
Even worse is when they post a link to their video here and don't even bother to post the recipe.

There is a distinction in my mind between the owner of a company being visual and active in the marketing of their products and a non owner of celeb status -hired to convince others to try the product.

Well in that case, no I don’t follow influencers.

It was her 1 hour rib trick that got me! Ribs for dinner any night of the week!

I’ll give the video a watch here in a bit.

This august group has influenced me into the poor house.

Youtube, not at all, though useful for how to stuff and research on an intended purchase. Any youtube vid which takes more than ten seconds to get to the point, hard pass.

IMO, the easiest way to choose a ribeye is to start with "prime grade" as the lowest grade acceptable. After that, it's on the cook to not screw it up....

I would say that what I learned about cookers from the experiences other members had here had a influence on my trailer set up.

-D

100% understand the Brethren Influence phenomenon. Carries a lot of weight with me too. Brethren have spent a lot of my money and I've spent quite a bit of theirs. Hell I dispense two shots of tequila with each pot of Chili. One for the cook one for the pot(cowgirl influence)
But let's say a paid professional BBQ Show personality made that Tequila suggestion. Probably wouldn't hit the same with me.

Last edited:
I watch youtube "influencers", and then formulate my own opinion on the subject at hand. Can't say I have purchased anything solely on their suggestions. I have made some good food with my tweaks from influencers, however.

My other hobbies and interests I use youtube for info gathering. Simply another tool in the belt of knowledge.

When it comes to BBQ, I'll take advice from y'all over an influencer for the most part.

Back