THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bover

is one Smokin' Farker
Decided to have a few people over this weekend and made up a couple butts to feed them. Went with an injection of apple juice, ACV, wooster, honey and Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple for an overnight soak:
picture.php

Did a light mustard slather (stupid camera phone. They weren't this yellow in person) and coated with SM Spicy Apple:
picture.php

Got the coals going with some buried hickory chunks:
picture.php

And she's rollin' with a brand new fancy drip-inside-the-drum lid!
picture.php

Mmmm
picture.php

Here they are while in the stall. Foiled and finished until probe tender. The larger one was ready at 195* but the little one I had to take up to 203*. Love that 'pig honey' on top of the big one:
picture.php

And here's the best action shot I could get before the savages/guests tore in to it too much.
picture.php

Made up a batch of my broccoli coleslaw to top the sandwiches with and set out a couple different sauces for folks to try. The hands-down winner was BH Red. The combo of pork, apple, vinegar, and a touch of heat from both the rub and the sauce is a big-time winner.

Thanks for looking!

Looks mighty fine to me. What's this broccoli coleslaw you are talking about. Something else new to me.

Here's the recipe. It's a variation of one I used to have to make every morning as part of the prep work for a burger joint I worked at in high school. It's a mayo-based dressing using buttermilk for the bulk of the acidity and some sugar to give it that little something extra. I'm obviously biased, but this is far and away the best coleslaw I've ever had.

Ingredients

• 1 head green cabbage, finely chopped and pressed to remove excess water
  • 2 carrots, peeled and grated
  • 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cups broccoli, finely chopped
  • 2 cups mayonnaise
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Toss all vegetables together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, sugar, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, dill, salt, and pepper. Pour mayonnaise mixture over cabbage mixture and toss thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 2-3 hours before serving.

Wow, thanks for the quick response and recipe. I love slaw, any kind so I will definitely have to try this. The recipe sounds really tasty just reading it. :becky:

Back