Anyone switch from stickburner to drum?

Killa J

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Josh
I’m still struggling to talk myself out of buying an offset smoker. I wish I had a friend that has one and I can compare it to my Karubecue, but they all either have BGEs or electric smokers. Since I can’t really justify the cost of a decent offset right now, I’m starting to think building an UDS will satisfy my crackhead-like obsession with buying more cookers to annoy my wife.

Has anyone switched from an offset to a drum and feel that everything still tastes as good? I know they’re way more convenient, but I have a pellet pooper for when I don’t have time and still want BBQ. I’d say that close to half of the time I see a big offset for sale, the seller says they are switching to drums to use for competitions. I have no interest in competing, but that’s got to be at least a decent indicator of the food quality.

I have/had both drums and offsets at the same time, and it's really comparing apples and oranges flavor wise IMO. My personal preference is for wood fired offset smokers, but I like what I can do with my drum too - it's just a completely different flavor profile. The fat and juices that drip onto the coals produces a different flavor.

FWIW, We have both offset & drum. Happy with Q from both but flavor is different
from each. Also was gifted a Treager & am not impressed.

I have both too. Totally different cookers and output.
I love everything the horizontal wood burner produces.
My drums are great for chicken, no fuss overnight briskets, breads, shoot... many things. I wouldn't get rid of either but my favorite is the wood burner.

I've had both and if you use a deflector plate so the juices don't hit the coals it can provide a similar flavor profile to a stick burner. My only issue with Drums is the flat lid. Depending on weather I've had condensation build up on the lid and drip down on the meat. I'm not a fan of that.

Or.... you could get a WSM, basically a drum, use with or without a deflector, domed top, and easier to clean....

I learned how to BBQ at my dad's side, on an offset. I still have that pit (20x42 custom), and it was made in the mid 80's. This site introduced me to the UDS. I now have 4 and never use my offset anymore. Like stated above I use a deflector and the flavor is pretty close to the offset. I cooked 2 briskets, 1 butt, ribs, and sausage yesterday to take to my Dad and FIL today. They requested it because they said they prefer the food off of my drums. My Dad still does 3 comps a year at 82 years old, and this year we are switching to drums instead of the trailer offset.

I had a WSM and I thought it was good until I got my Lang. Hands down there's no better than a stick burner. I still use my pellet grills for convenience though but they can't hold a candle to the Lang.

Flavor and the cooking experience are the 2 main differences for me.

For example, I have a few Weber smokey mountains and use them often at home and have used them in competition. The convenience and portability of a drum or WSM is very popular for transport, setup, space savings and ability to do hot and fast cooks at comps. Of course a lot of competitors use offset stick burners too. The charcoal, lump and or wood chunks used create it's own type of flavor. I prefer to use my offset smoker at home for those cooks that I want the stick burner "smooth smoke flavor" and to relax near the smoker ready to throw logs periodically, or I use the WSM for standard low maintenance cook. It's just 2 different tools for 2 different experiences, so to answer your question, no, I don't see myself switching from offset to a drum any time soon, I need both. The decision which to buy is yours but my thinking is shoot for the end goal, if it's an offset then start saving now for that goal. If you can't wait and need to buy something now, try to find a used drum or like you suggested build one, that's always fun too. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
satisfy my crackhead-like obsession with buying more cookers.

It sounds to me like the above statement is the key one for you (and a lot of us).

What would it take to satisfy your obsession? It seems like you enjoy the journey of exploring cookers as part of the joy of BBQ.

There are certainly some on this site who found a cooker or type of cooker and have stuck with that, and there are others who like trying out new cookers and like the variety.

You seem to be the in 2nd camp. I'd be willing to bet that 10 years from now you will have owned both an offset and a UDS.

I would say get what you can afford and plan that there will be more cookers in the future. One thing to keep in mind, if you are the type to sell one cooker to make room for a new one. High end stick burners hold their value very well.

I sold my offset in favor of my drum. part of it was life got hectic and I didn't have to time. the drum is my goto for all bbq long cooks. I may prefer the additional smokiness imparted by the drippings, especially on brisket. the drum even beats the pellet cooker for convenience on long cooks because once the uds is running smooth it stays that way the rest of the cook. with the pellet I have to watch for flameouts.

I'll get ànother offset one day but for now with a growing family I'll use the drum. it's just as good only different.

the reason comp guys switch to drums is it takes less time managing fires, that time can be focused on other things. also 2 or 3 drums can be easier to transport than a large offset.

I have an offset that for thr last 4 years has been sitting at my dad's. After I built my UDS, I liked the convenience and the flavor. The stick burner is great and I may again have it, but the UDS is my favorite to use.

I haven't been doing much smoking recently due to how much everything costs these days. I decided to sell a smoker to fund one of my other hobbies and it was the Lang that got the chopping block. Kept my Hunsaker.

Stick burners are great. I love taking the time to tend a fire and cook on an offset pit. There is nothing more satisfying than cooking with a live fire. Only problem is that I have way too much on my plate. If I am cooking a low and slow cut like brisket or pork butt. Even a rack of STL pork ribs I just done have the time to stand by and tend a fire. Wish ai did. Just don’t.

My first serious pit was a New Braunfels Bandera. Cooked some great food on it. Burned through 2 of them then switched to a UDS and Primo Kamado at the same time. Finished product on a drum, Kamado or pellet grill doesn’t measure up to stick burners but it is so close that the trade off is worth it. I have a custom reverse flow stick burners available to me at my farm with plenty post oak and pecan splits available if I ever get the itch.

I have/had both drums and offsets at the same time, and it's really comparing apples and oranges flavor wise IMO. My personal preference is for wood fired offset smokers, but I like what I can do with my drum too - it's just a completely different flavor profile. The fat and juices that drip onto the coals produces a different flavor.

Can't say it any better than this.^^^
Both are very good but its an apples and oranges comparison.

Back