THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chicagokp

Babbling Farker
I've been searching for a bit and have seen a bunch of the cake like or sweet corn bread recipes, but I haven't really found a savory one. Anyone have one they wouldn't mind sharing?

This is my favorite one. You can omit the sugar, but I like to add at least one TBS. Taste the batter first before adding any.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2011/10/quick-cured-porkchops-with-jalapeno.html

1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 egg (beaten)
you can add sugar.. up to 3/4 cup.
1/4 cup veggie oil
1/4 cup minced onions
1 cup whole kernals of corn (grilled corn is great too)
minced jalapenos (as many as you like)

I warm the oil in a 10" cast iron skillet (in the oven), mix the dry ingredients in a bowl first, then add the wet ingredients.

Add the corn, onions and jalapenos last. Pour the warmed oil from the skillet into the batter and mix well.
Then pour all back into the skillet, bake at 400 degrees F for about 25 minutes.

I bake this in the house or outside on the smoker.

This is my go-to, which I make in a 9" cast iron pan.

1.5 c cornmeal
.5 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1.5 c buttermilk
3 TB butter

preheat oven to 425, you can get the pan heating up in there & melt the butter as well, but don't let it burn.

Sift together dry ingredients. Beat eggs well, mix with buttermilk & bet well again. Beat in the melted butter. Quickly mix wet & dry ingredients and pour into hot pan. Put in oven & start checking after 20 minutes.

A couple mods: you can add a cup of grated cheese, you can add choppped jalapenos. You can also separate the eggs, beat whites until stiff, and fold in at the end. If you wanna add cream corn, you can do that too.

Pick your favorite recipe and add cheddar cheese and chopped green chile to the batter, and shred some additional cheddar and sprinkle it on top about 1/2 way through the baking time.

We use apple smoked cheddar for the sprinkle on top.

Skillet Cornbread

Sean Brock | Serves 8

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups high-quality buttermilk
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups coarse yellow cornmeal
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 5 tablespoons fresh lard
Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 500°F, or as high as it will go.
  2. Pour buttermilk into stand mixer with paddle attached. Turn mixer on low; while running, add egg and continue to beat until incorporated. In a separate bowl, place cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
  3. Meanwhile, place a cast-iron skillet on high heat.
  4. Add cornmeal mixture to wet ingredients in stand mixer and stir on low to combine. Note that if the mixture seems too dry, you can add a bit more buttermilk; alternatively, if it seems too wet, you can add a bit more cornmeal.
  5. To the pre-heating skillet, add the lard and allow to melt. Add about half of the melted lard to the batter in the stand mixer and continue to mix on low. Once batter is all emulsified, remove cast-iron skillet from heat and add batter to the hot pan, carefully smoothing the top to create a somewhat even surface. The edges of the batter should sizzle in the remaining lard. Allow the cornbread batter to get slightly brown on the edges for a minute or two before placing in the oven.
  6. Place skillet in oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until cornmeal is set and slightly browned on edges and golden on top.
  7. Slice into wedges and serve.

Buy a bag of Aunt Jemima Self-Rising White Corn Meal Mix. Follow the directions on the back of the bag with 3 caveats. Use buttermilk, omit the egg, and No sugar. Cook according t directions.

You can add any of many extras if you care too.

Does anyone have a fried corn bread recipe?

I use Martha White Buttermilk Cornbread Hot Rise mix and then use more buttermilk as the liquid to make batter omitting all other ingredients. Make pones, using a tablespoon of mix into 1/2" oil in cast iron frying pan, this will swell up as it cooks. The longer the mix sits before cooking, the more it swells as it cooks. People are amazed at the taste, I usually have a problem with having any to put on the table because it is being eaten as fast as it comes out of the frying pan.

Skillet Cornbread

Sean Brock | Serves 8

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups high-quality buttermilk
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups coarse yellow cornmeal
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 5 tablespoons fresh lard
Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 500°F, or as high as it will go.
  2. Pour buttermilk into stand mixer with paddle attached. Turn mixer on low; while running, add egg and continue to beat until incorporated. In a separate bowl, place cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
  3. Meanwhile, place a cast-iron skillet on high heat.
  4. Add cornmeal mixture to wet ingredients in stand mixer and stir on low to combine. Note that if the mixture seems too dry, you can add a bit more buttermilk; alternatively, if it seems too wet, you can add a bit more cornmeal.
  5. To the pre-heating skillet, add the lard and allow to melt. Add about half of the melted lard to the batter in the stand mixer and continue to mix on low. Once batter is all emulsified, remove cast-iron skillet from heat and add batter to the hot pan, carefully smoothing the top to create a somewhat even surface. The edges of the batter should sizzle in the remaining lard. Allow the cornbread batter to get slightly brown on the edges for a minute or two before placing in the oven.
  6. Place skillet in oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until cornmeal is set and slightly browned on edges and golden on top.
  7. Slice into wedges and serve.

This will eliminate your sweet cakey problem--it largely comes from too much flour (I think 0 is correct as in Blu's recipe) and too much sweetener. My recipe uses bacon grease, but same idea

Back