Anyone ever had Jerk Steak?

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
Everyone's at least heard of jerk chicken or pork, but I'd never heard of jerk steak. I love jerk flavors. Fiery hot, but not so much so that the flavor of the food is completely obliterated. It's the perfect combination of heat and flavor in my opinion. I love jerk seasoning and I love steak. Seems like a match made in heaven, and well, it is.

There's not much to this, but I did take a lot of pics of the process as I'm so obsessed with this that I've had it four times in the last six weeks, including last night right after I got done with the editing the pictures and doing the write up for this post. I went ahead and took pics of the prime sirloin I jerked last night and added them to the end of the original write up.

If you love steak and weren't hungry before, you will be if you click this link or scroll down even a hair.

Jerk-Steak-11.jpg

Jerk-Steak-13.jpg

Jerk-Steak-X2-7.jpg

Jerk-Steak-X2-8.jpg

And the rest of the instructions sans pics for the link averse:

OK, I’m going to have to come clean with something here. I’m a little obsessed with jerk steak lately. I think I’ve made it three out of the last five weekends. I love jerk flavor in general. I love fiery food, but not so much so that it masks all the other flavors. Jerk ingredients stand up to each other so well, that even when it’s hot enough to make the back of your neck sweat, you will still taste all that glorious flavor. I’ve jerked chicken and pork before, but never beef. I did it once and now I can’t get enough. There isn’t much to this recipe as it is simply grilling a steak and brushing on some jerk marinade paste, but it’s worth documenting just to get everyone else to try what has me salivating just writing about it.

Before I even got this post up, I had a craving and made this again, hence the bonus material above and below, so be sure to scroll all the way down…

I know what you’re thinking. Jerk chicken and jerk pork are mainstays, but you’ve never heard of jerk beef or jerk steak. Trust me, if you love jerked food, you will love jerk steak.

The first time I did this I did it on a ridiculously large bone in rib eye from Kenrick’s, and oh how I love being less than 10 minutes from this place:

When I say the steak was big, I mean big (forgive these next three pics, they were taken with my phone):

That’s right, it was a 2.6 pound bone in rib eye, my old razor phone my son plays with is for perspective:

My plan was to eat some of it for dinner and some for breakfast or lunch (or both), but it was so good I wound up eating the whole thing. Bone in rib eye is my favorite steak. I had no sides, just a big plate of meat:

I’m a big believer in marinating, particularly in jerk, but for this I bought the steak right before Kenrick’s closed and cooked it a couple hours later so I didn’t bother. I decided instead to merely brush it on after the sear. It was so good I had it the next weekend, and then a couple weeks after that. The last time I had it, I decided to go ahead and document the process and use a much more modest steak, a New York strip or strip loin, and balance out the meal with a side dish, in this case some grilled romaine:

That’s about a 12 ouncer that I had left over when a guy didn’t show up for guy night. Freezing and thawing it took away the rich red I’m used to, but it was still great.

All I used for the jerk was Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning which is a thick paste. They also have a jerk marinade and a jerk BBQ sauce now, but I have not tried either. The marinade is in my cabinet, but I haven’t used it. If you want to make your own jerk seasoning you can use these ingredients for an excellent marinade or brushing sauce

1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (if you can’t find this at your grocery use a fresh jalapeño)**
1 Tbs allspice
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp dried thyme
1 Tbs brown sugar
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup dark rum
juice from one fresh lime
juice from one fresh orange

Combine all of the above ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.

For this steak, I applied salt, black and white pepper to both sides of the steak and got the grill ready for two zone grilling. Coals on one side and none on the other so I can sear over the coals to put on that flavor crust, and then pull to the side with no coals to bake to the desired doneness without burning the steak. Generally, when I cook a steak for myself, I don’t need to pull it to the side to let it bake to the desired doneness, seared on each side is all I need for it to be done enough in my book.

Here is the grill with the coals stoked up on one side, I have a couple bricks that had broken into chunks over time, dividing up the grill to keep the coals on one side:

And here we have a pic with no flash as it washes out the flames just to show how hot the fire is:

I always grill steaks over ripping hot coals:

After between 90 and 120 seconds I rotate the steak to get the cross hatch grill marks:

After 1.5-2 minutes after I rotate, I flip and do the same thing on the other side and brush some of the jerk seasoning on:

After that side is seared, I pull it over to the side with no coals, flip it over and apply more jerk, but I don’t close the lid and bake it. I let it rest while I cook the lettuce:

If you’ve never had grilled lettuce, I can’t recommend it highly enough. You can get the full write up here with picture by picture instructions. Here’s my lettuce fully cooked on one side and charring on the other:

I pulled both off when the lettuce was nicely charred on both sides and sprinkled some asiago over the romaine and plated the steak:

Since the steak sat on the side of the grill with no heat while the lettuce cooked I didn’t really need to let it rest. The juices have already calmed down inside. Why do I need to let it rest in the first place? Because “searing in the juices” is not key to a juicy steak. In fact, it’s not even accurate. Searing a steak releases more of its juices than simply baking it to the desired doneness. Searing creates a flavor crust by browning and thus caramelizing the proteins. Keeping the juices in the steak is performed by letting it rest after coming off the heat. When it leaves the cook surface, the juices are in an excited state. They’re moving at a million miles an hour. If you slice open the steak right then, the cut will act as an escape valve and the juices will run all over the plate. If you let the steak rest, they juices will slow down, redistribute throughout the entire piece of meat, and most importantly stay in that meat for every moist bite.

Check out the pic after I slice it:

And here’s a close up. No pool of juice, just the residuals from the wet paste that was slathered on during the cooking process:

If you don’t like spicy food, I would recommend diluting Walkerswood with some oil before brushing it on. In its pure form, it’s really potent and it seems to get hotter once you open the jar. I don’t know if it has to do with the oxygen getting in there or it fermenting once it opens or what (I’m not a chemist or food scientist), but it definitely increases in heat after the jar’s been open.

If you love spicy food, this is a great way to add some heat but not to overpower the taste of the beef. I really enjoyed jerk steak and will likely have it many more times.

If you have any questions, feel free to leave them below or shoot me an email.

If you would like other beef recipes, click here.

Also, you can follow the Grillin Fools on their Facebook page where you can post your grillin own pictures or join the general grillin conversation. Or, you can follow them on Twitter @GrillinFool

***Bonus Steak***

The night I worked on these pictures and wrote up this post I got a craving for, what else, but jerk steak. I ran by Kenrick’s and picked up a prime sirloin and after a little salt, black, and white pepper on each side I slapped it on the grill:

After a couple minutes over a roaring fire I rotated it:

After a couple more minutes I flipped:

I didn’t let the cast iron grates warm up before I put the meat on. It was 9:15 pm and I was hungry, so I didn’t get my usual level of cross-hatchness.

Then I brushed on the fiery deliciousness:

After two minutes I rotated:

After two more minutes I flipped and brushed the other side:

I pulled it off to the side with no coals, shut the lid and went to grab a plate. Total baking time after resting was about 60 seconds:

And after I took a few pics while it rested I sliced:

And a closeup of that pink awesomeness:

Yeah, I could do this again tonight. Although I don’t recommend eating one as late as I did. A jerk steak at 9:30 doesn’t lend itself to a good night’s sleep.

Very nice! I like the recipe but I do have a question on this substitution:
"2 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (if you can’t find this at your grocery use a fresh jalapeño)**"
Wouldn't an habanero be a closer match to the Scotch Bonnet(At least Scoville wise)? Or, is a jalapeno closer to the Scotch bonnet flavorwise?

Very nice! I like the recipe but I do have a question on this substitution:
"2 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (if you can’t find this at your grocery use a fresh jalapeño)**"
Wouldn't an habanero be a closer match to the Scotch Bonnet(At least Scoville wise)? Or, is a jalapeno closer to the Scotch bonnet flavorwise?

A lot of times in the states, if you can get scotch bonnets some place, you can also get habaneros. Basically, if the little tiny, WICKED hot orange peppers can't be found, then go with jalapenos. Almost any grocery store will carry jalapenos, the other two are a bit harder to find... But you are correct, i would substitute a habanero before I would go with an jalapeno.

A lot of times in the states, if you can get scotch bonnets some place, you can also get habaneros. Basically, if the little tiny, WICKED hot orange peppers can't be found, then go with jalapenos. Almost any grocery store will carry jalapenos, the other two are a bit harder to find... But you are correct, i would substitute a habanero before I would go with an jalapeno.
Thanks! Plenty of habs here in Memphis (There are two Latino markets within a half mile of my house) but no Scotch Bonnets.

Back