Any word on Pork in the Park?

Expect to see more of this type of thing. We as competition teams need to engage the public more then we have in the past in order to keep these competitions going.

How many people from the public have you refused to feed as it was against the rules or that was not the current policy. Yes PITP could have been handled a bit better but unless you have a dog in the race watching competition BBQ is about as exciting as watching grass grow.

People want more then just the venders food, they want to hit the real stuff.

You said it in your second paragraph - It's against the rules. Those that know me know that I'm a big proponent of onsite People's Choice contests for the very reason that you mention in your first paragraph BUT there are several issues with PITP's approach:

• You are asking for 100 samples (25 of each category) to be turned in at the normal turn in time. That's in essence asking us to turn in 5 boxes in each turn in window.
  • Let's do a little math: Figure 42 teams and each VIP ticket gets 8 samples (2 of each category) for $35. The teams get $100 for participating. PITP is outlaying $4200 and they are raking in over $18,000 in VIP ticket sales. How much of this is going back into the prize pool?
  • Last but not least, I wonder how the food vendors feel about this?

A little outside the box thinking:
Most of us have a fairly large amount of leftovers after turn in.
How about a sampling from say, 2 - 3 pm, no guarantees on quantities.
No contests, no judging, just folks who attend the contest stopping by and tasting our food. Properly identified as paying attendees, read wrist bands.
You don't necessarily have to have 100% participation, Maybe a select 10-15% of the teams.
The Health Dept's will always be the monkey in the wrench (Mike F. please identify that reference).
At our home contest, Bel Air, we give our "Friends" wrist bands for an after party and we have zero left overs and a very positive vibe from our "Friends".
We have always hated the semi-lie that the promoters tell the general public about the intent of the competition and it will provide a challenge to not interfere with vending.
Just a thought and wide open to evaluations.

A little outside the box thinking:
Most of us have a fairly large amount of leftovers after turn in.
How about a sampling from say, 2 - 3 pm, no guarantees on quantities.
No contests, no judging, just folks who attend the contest stopping by and tasting our food. Properly identified as paying attendees, read wrist bands.
You don't necessarily have to have 100% participation, Maybe a select 10-15% of the teams.
The Health Dept's will always be the monkey in the wrench (Mike F. please identify that reference).
Die Hard.
At our home contest, Bel Air, we give our "Friends" wrist bands for an after party and we have zero left overs and a very positive vibe from our "Friends".
We have always hated the semi-lie that the promoters tell the general public about the intent of the competition and it will provide a challenge to not interfere with vending.
Just a thought and wide open to evaluations.
The first thing that would have to happen is KCBS would have to change it's rules. Then you'd not only need a HD inspection of each and every team but some kind of blanket insurance rider.

The first thing that would have to happen is KCBS would have to change it's rules. Then you'd not only need a HD inspection of each and every team but some kind of blanket insurance rider.

What is the KCBS rule, never looked that one up.
As far as the blanket, how would anyone know the source of the fatal pork ingestion?
It could have come from a vendor, competitior, or a guests poorly prepared, and insufficiently held at the proper NSF temperature lunch!

Expect to see more of this type of thing. We as competition teams need to engage the public more then we have in the past in order to keep these competitions going.

How many people from the public have you refused to feed as it was against the rules or that was not the current policy. Yes PITP could have been handled a bit better but unless you have a dog in the race watching competition BBQ is about as exciting as watching grass grow.

People want more then just the venders food, they want to hit the real stuff.

I'm all for engaging the public and keeping the contests going. Without the public, most of these contests would shut down. That said, though, I don't think the organizers realize that what they are asking for is a big impact, especially during turn ins. There is a reason People's Choice is often not on the KCBS turn in day.

Mike's points are all valid too.

Each of the 4 for 25 people? I have my shoes on so the math may be off...
25 thighs
4 or 5 racks of ribs
2 butts
1 big brisket

And they give you $100? You have over $100 cost in just meat. Did I do the math wrong?

This isn't about engaging the public. It is about catering their VIP moneymaker for them. The general public attending PitP will not get to even know this is happening much less experience it.

Good luck to all cooking!

Back