Any Southern hardwoods "bad" to use in a stickburner?

Birch is fine, but pretty light. It's the most common hardwood where I live. Just take the bark off, there is a lot of soot producing tar under it.

Actually I haven't smoked a lot with it, since I don't have the patience to strip the bark. I have tons of Birch available, maybe I'd need to use it more =)

I had a coworker offer me a free silver maple if I would help him fall it and cut it and remove it. How is it for smoking and what type of smoke profile is it?

Depending on what kind of maple you have, the different varieties burn very differently. There are two main varieties that most trees fall under. Hard (sugar) maple burns very much like oak-longer, hotter.

Silver maple (most of the time) is what guys call a soft maple tree. It will smoke just fine but it's a very light wood that burns rather quickly. If you're ever in a hardwoods store they'll have both hard and soft maple pieces -hard for furniture and cabinets, soft for carvings.

You'll notice that hard maple weighs easily x2 as much as soft. You better believe it makes quite a difference when using it in a smoker. Recently the trend for a lot of guys online is to say "I use maple":frusty:-well.....yeah and I use a stove-but it doesn't help anyone if you don't tell them specifics. So cudos for actually finding out what variety you're being offered ahead of time.

So....it will work for smoke purposes, but I wouldn't rely on it for a heat source (like in a reverse flow or stickburner for example).

Back