Any great chicken, white bean chili recipes out there?

food4thot

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Erik, E
Never made it before. Went camping years back with a bunch of neighborhood families. Someone brought a batch of chicken, white bean chili. Wasn't very hot (kids) but was stunningly good.

I've been looking too. Standard cook sites vary a bit - some make a white sauce and some make basically red chili but with chicken and white beans (great northern). Corn seems to be a common ingredient that's not usual chili stuff. Also noticed that Bush's has white chili beans that seem to be perfect for this.

When I make some it'll be MSU.

I've meddled with a few recipes but I'll be honest, the White Chicken Chili seasoning by McCormick is the best I've made. Recipe is on the back of the package. I recommend doubling it up because one batch is never enough. The only extra touch I add is a 4oz can of diced green chiles. It's good stuff.

NYT has a great recipe. As written, the recipe is rather mild, but it is easy to make it spicier if you desire.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1024345-white-chicken-chili

Thats pretty orange/red for having such little amount of chili powder. I bet you could add a bit more chili powder if you use a flour roux to thicken it a bit. I like more of a thin gravy chili and usually use corn flour as it doesn't lighten the color and adds flavor, but in this case flour would be perfect. I would also sub out the cayenne powder for jalapeno powder.

Here's a good basic recipe with plenty of room for customization.

White Bean Chili

Ingredients
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
~1 lb cooked cubed chicken
2 (15 oz.) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 ½ tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
1 cup frozen sweet corn - fire roasted
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Cilantro, for garnish

Directions
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
To onion and garlic, add vegetable broth, chicken, beans, chilies, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika and cayenne. Stir to mix and bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, stir in frozen corn and Greek yogurt. Continue to cook until everything is hot, increasing heat if needed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm topped with cilantro, if desired.

Thats pretty orange/red for having such little amount of chili powder. I bet you could add a bit more chili powder if you use a flour roux to thicken it a bit. I like more of a thin gravy chili and usually use corn flour as it doesn't lighten the color and adds flavor, but in this case flour would be perfect. I would also sub out the cayenne powder for jalapeno powder.

I do like it spicier so I substitute serranos for jalapeño and I up the quantity. Color is certainly in the eye of the beholder. Anything less than the rich mahogany hues of Texas Red is white chili to me :mrgreen:

Masa is my go to thickener for chili. It is easy and adds a nice complimentary flavor.

Here's a good basic recipe with plenty of room for customization.

White Bean Chili

Ingredients
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
~1 lb cooked cubed chicken
2 (15 oz.) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 ½ tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
1 cup frozen sweet corn - fire roasted
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Cilantro, for garnish

Directions
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
To onion and garlic, add vegetable broth, chicken, beans, chilies, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika and cayenne. Stir to mix and bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, stir in frozen corn and Greek yogurt. Continue to cook until everything is hot, increasing heat if needed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm topped with cilantro, if desired.
Like the ingredients in this one, especially the Greek yogurt instead of cream/cream cheese. Use a variety of fresh peppers in my red chili...would be easy to add them to this recipe.

Thanks!

Agree. Pierre Franey's Turkey Chili recipe, also found in the Times, can be adapted for chicken (or make it after Thanksgiving, if you have lots of turkey left over).

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/7985-turkey-chili
No reason turkey couldn't be substituted for the chicken. Used a mix of smoked turkey and ground pork in a batch of red about a year ago. Came out great. Won a throwdown here. Can't prove it cause Andy never sent me a certificate :tsk: :wink:

20221221.jpg

Heath Riles just made one a few days ago. I may make a version of this. Seemed simple enough to try and be able to add or subtract ingredients as needed to your likings. Make one big batch then separate into different bowls and add what you want to figure out what you like.

https://youtu.be/OzYA8oOuZqY?si=I_oRpZPY8eDoTtZ7
Like the idea of mashing a can of beans to help thicken the chili.

Back