Advice on rack of lamb.

Sjhill

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Stu
Never cooked lamb before. Costco had a sale on racks of lamb and wanted to get some advice on grilling it.

My plan was to reverse sear it on my summit charcoal. Do I need to remove the little bit of fat and silver skin on the top like I would beef ribs or should I keep that on? Figured I’d play it safe and just use spg unless anyone had any tips on what went well with lamb.

This would be an awesome cook to copy, cooked perfect IMHO
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278930
You can remove the extra silver skin/fat layer or leave it on, notice the cross hatching.
another way is to render the , lay it fat down in a frypan from cold, fry until fat is rendered then smoke/cook
SPG is perfect combination or go hard

This would be an awesome cook to copy, cooked perfect IMHO
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278930
You can remove the extra silver skin/fat layer or leave it on, notice the cross hatching.
another way is to render the , lay it fat down in a frypan from cold, fry until fat is rendered then smoke/cook
SPG is perfect combination or go hard

This looks like a good cook to follow, and also reminds me I need to get some naturiffic rubs soon. Will cook the lamb tonight then post the results.

Never cooked lamb before. Costco had a sale on racks of lamb and wanted to get some advice on grilling it.

My plan was to reverse sear it on my summit charcoal. Do I need to remove the little bit of fat and silver skin on the top like I would beef ribs or should I keep that on? Figured I’d play it safe and just use spg unless anyone had any tips on what went well with lamb.

Reverse sear is perfect. And peel the membrane just like pork ribs. Everyone is a little different when it comes to trimming racks of lamb, which is really yearling if they are large enough to have a worthwhile rack. Fat is flavor, and some folks want to reduce the gaminess and will trim the fat. Others are turned off by really fatty meat, and since lamb is served medium rare there is not enough time to render the full amount of fat, so they trim some of it. Here is how I trim racks. This first photo tells it all, the fat in the background is from the first rack. At $19/lb that is a lot of $ on the cutting board.

QAt3qiH.jpg

Here I'm doing one rack with a dry rub, and one marinated. It's all good.

8xzvZXQ.jpg

This rack has a little fat left on, but shows the doneness I prefer.

x1SbLqa.jpg

And ready to eat....

bLG29Dg.jpg

I have grilled it one time, a Costco rack as well, turned out great!

I removed the silver skin and trimmed about 90% of the fat. Yes the fat has flavor, but too much and you can taste that musty mutton flavor, that's ok if you like it I guess.
I coated it with dijon mustard, parsley and thyme, add rosemary if you like.

Sear the racks of lamb over high heat, or directly over the coals, meaty side down, until they are nicely browned, about 6 minutes. Turn the racks so that they are leaning against each other with the bones pointing up and grill until the meaty sides are nicely browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn the racks bone side down and lower the heat to moderately low, or move the racks to the cooler side of the grill. Cover the grill and continue cooking until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the meat registers 130° for medium-rare meat, about 20 minutes. Transfer the racks of lamb to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes.

I love rack of lamb. I love the fat when rendered well and seasoned with a salty rub so I leave the fat. sometimes I'll go raised direct heat

XjplL9vl.jpg

uM0slhyl.jpg

oh and try some Naturrific Lamb Rub. it's legit
lR6qet5l.jpg

I've done those many times and they are always good. I'm just going to throw this out as it is something not mentioned yet in this thread. Lately, been slicing those up into bone-in chops and grilling them hot and fast, rare, with your favorite seasoning. Easy and delicious.

I've done those many times and they are always good. I'm just going to throw this out as it is something not mentioned yet in this thread. Lately, been slicing those up into bone-in chops and grilling them hot and fast, rare, with your favorite seasoning. Easy and delicious.

We do that a lot, its cheaper than buying the cutlets aready prepared.:thumb:
can you buy them as cutlets?

Back