Adventures in gasserland or making a Silk Purse from a Sows Ear.... (long)

Buk

In my introductory post on Cattle Call, I made mention of making a 'silk purse out of a sow's ear' and thought I would follow up on it. My introduction to smoking meat was years ago with an ECB that I never could keep lit. When smoking a turkey overnight for Thanksgiving, I would have to set the alarm for every couple of hours and take the whole body off the firepan, let the fire start up again, and repeat as necessary until the turkey was done. I finally gave up on it! Fast forward to recently when my wife's son gave me an old Sunbeam grill (cast aluminum housing, glass window on the lid, rusted out burner, rusted cooking grate, rusted rock grate with lava-rocks, rickety frame, etc.). I replaced the burner with a Walmart 'universal' (that means it fits everything equally poorly) burner but could not get any heat from it. I took the two-section gas valve apart and finally figured out that someone had done this previously but had reassembled it wrong. After putting it back together correctly, I now had heat but, when turned up more than about 1/3, I also got yellow flames and soot. There was no adjustment for more air with those light-weight crinkled aluminum pipes that went to the gas valve snouts but that was OK because with the right side of the burner off and the left side turned down to low, it would hold about 225 degrees pretty well. My first try was a small rack of ribs on the right side of the grill with an oven thermometer on the cooking grate between the ribs and the trimmings. Smoke was via smoke bombs (aluminum-foil wrapped pieces of apple limbs about the diameter of a sharpie and about 5-6 inches long with 4-5 holes in it) - more about this later... The result was good to us whose idea of BBQ was meat slathered with BBQ sauce baked in an oven. This was in July. We had my daughter and her husband over several weeks later and I wanted to cook ribs again but needed to cook two racks. I found out quickly that there wasn't room on the right half of my half-a$$ed smoker for two racks so had to cut them in half and partially overlap them to fit and didn’t have any room for the rib trimmings. Still, some of the ribs got into the hot spot around the center of the grate and had to be rotated frequently. Five or so hours later, they were done and ate pretty good. Now to the Sow's Ear. I wanted/needed more cooking surface so bought a well-used, circa 2001 $15 Uniflame gas grill found on Craig's List. Although the grate was only a little larger than the Sunbeam's, the burners ran front to back so, using only the left burner, I would have maybe 50% more cooking surface. The frame and body of the grill were in good shape but the burners and burner/flavorizer supports were rusted out and the flavorizers were long gone. Needless to say, it was filthy. About two weeks work, on and off, a couple of cans of oven cleaner, half a package of SOS pads, and frequent scrapings with a putty knife it was clean. The process wasn't entirely hard work as frequent infusions of adult beverages helped allay the frustrations usually involved with this sort of project. I had burner supports made from 10 ga. steel sheet. Rather than use new flavorizers , I had two 10 ga. angles made so I could use a rock grate setup similar to the one in the Sunbeam. I couldn’t use store-bought angle iron as these supports bolted to the porcelain pan that formed the bottom of the grill and its sides were tapered at about 15 degrees. My fabricator (I worked there before I retired so these were all 'government' projects) didn't have any expanded metal for the rock grate but they did have some 1/4 inch perforated 304SS plate that would do. Now the structure of the grill was complete. I picked up a couple of Walmart's 'universal' tube burners for $10 each and they didn't work worth a cr@p either - the base of the flames were away from the burner and they would blow themselves out. In addition, the holes in the burner went too far back so there were flames behind the shield that is supposed to protect the gas valves so back to my friends to have eight holes on each side welded up. I drilled several more holes in the burners to help with the burning with limited success before I finally figured out how to make them work but sometime during the experimentation (which had become a personal challenge) I ordered the proper replacement burners and that's what is in it now. (If you want to know how to make the cheapie burners work, PM me and I'll share my solution.) Now, I'm ready to cook. I still had the rib trimmings from when my daughter and her husband came over in August so I decided to try them in the Sow's Ear as my first cook. I put several firebrick on the stainless rock plate to help hold heat and made a drip pan from aluminum foil to sit on the firebrick under the right half of the cooking surface, heated her up, put the meat on, the oven thermometer in amongst the meat, and closed her up. I checked an hour later and the temp was low so I turned the one burner up a bit. An hour later it was still low so I began to suspect my drip pan as the edges of it were up to the bottom of the cooking grate and might be preventing the heat from circulating under the meat. I removed it and temps came up to where I could turn the burner back down to low and hold about 225 degrees. I put a smoke bomb on the rock grate above the burner and soon I had smoke, unfortunately it was white but settled down after a while. After about four hours, I was ‘give out’ from chores and took the meat off the Sow's Ear, wrapped it in aluminum foil, added some apple juice, and put it in my oven at 250 degrees then sat down to rest. Unfortunately, I went to sleep and when I woke 1-1/2 hours later found that my apple juice had cooked out and much of the meat had the texture of a pine cone on the road that had been run over a bunch of times (note: my oven thermostat is not accurate at lower temperatures!). The bottom pan on the Sow's Ear had three holes made in it - under the first and third burners the hole was about 1-1/2 X 5 inches and under the middle burner about 5 inches round and there was a grease catch pan below it. I made covers for the center and right-hand holes with some aluminum flashing material so most of the air would draw from the left. I picked up a piece of 2-1/4 inch tubing from local muffler shop's drop that had a 90 degree bend in it to make a stack. I mounted it on the right side of the hood. Unfortunately, the lowest I could mount it was about 4-1/2 inches above the cooking surface. The vertical section is about 12 inches tall and slightly above top of the hood. Next cook was some more ribs. I had bought a couple of thermometers from Walmart's that had 12 inch stems for $5 each and calibrated them with boiling water (they didn't go low enough to calibrate with ice & water, too). I put one in the stack and could lay the other on the side of the grill with the hood laying on top of it for a check about 1/2" above the cooking surface. The oven thermometer went next to the ribs. Smoke bombs were used as before with white smoke settling down to light, wispy gray after 10-15 minutes. I used a 10 X 14 baking pan of water under the ribs to catch drippings and only one firebrick at the end of the pan near the left hand burner. The cook was pretty uneventful and the ribs were good although maybe I rushed them a bit as they weren't quite as tender as I thought they should be. Temps held pretty well with grate temp 220-240 degrees or thereabouts, I had to fill the water pan every couple of hours, and the thermometer in the stack registered around 350. So far, so good. Yesterday I cooked a 6 lb. Boston Butt roast, my first. I used the 10 x 14 baking pan full of water and no firebricks at all. I fired it up at 5:30 AM, put the meat on at 6:00, thermometers as before, and went back to bed. Got up at 8:30 (I'm retired so I have seven Saturdays per week - its grand!) and checked it - temp a little low (190) and the pan was empty. I filled it with hot water from the sink then I noticed the drip! The pan was old, rusted and now had a pin-hole leak. I raided the kitchen and got another, pulled everything off, changed the pans, more hot water from the sink, put it all back together, and closed the lid. I watched the temps and they came up to about 235 so didn't open the lid for a couple of hours. I checked every couple of hours but the pan didn't lose any water and was collecting grease. Around 2:30 or so a little breeze came up and the temps dropped. I turned the burner up and nothing happened - little change in the flame. Damn!!!! Must be trash in the valve or manifold, will have to take it apart again to fix it. I fired up the center burner but with both burners going there was too much heat so I shut off the left burner and temps came up to where they should be so I let'r continue cooking. I took the thermometer out if the stack and ran it through a notch in the grill body (for the warming rack?) and into the butt. It read abut 150 degrees. About 4:00 I checked temps again and the butt was about 155 degrees and i was getting worried that it wouldn't be done by 6:00 supper so I foiled it, added some apple juice/cider vinegar, put it back on the grill with the thermometer in it and bumped the heat a bit and went back inside again and went to sleep (us old folks need our naps). I got up at 5:30 and checked it. Yikes! Grill temp was 350 but the temp inside the butt was just under 200. Funny how the temps go up when the water pan cooks dry. I hope it cleans up ok. I took the butt in and there was still juice in the foil. I pulled it with a pair of forks and we had pulled-pork sandwiches & french fries last night - pretty good. Conclusions: -I think that maybe the only 'silk purse from a sow's ear' may be the UDS. -Smoke bombs don't work well as there was a bit of aftertaste to the pork which I will attribute to the white smoke. Maybe if I started the smoke bombs on a fish cooker and didn't add they until the white smoke was gone it would be better. Anyone have any suggestions????? How do you start a new paragraph??????

I've tried editing it twice and still can't get the paragraphs separated. Sorry for what looks like a run-on. Still open to suggestions on editing as well as what to do about the smoke bombs.

No offense meant here, but that is a ton of words to be asking a simple question or two. Kinda like reading War and Peace:wink:. I'd say just cut to the chase. Just my .02.

FIFY

In my introductory post on Cattle Call, I made mention of making a 'silk purse out of a sow's ear' and thought I would follow up on it.

My introduction to smoking meat was years ago with an ECB that I never could keep lit. When smoking a turkey overnight for Thanksgiving, I would have to set the alarm for every couple of hours and take the whole body off the firepan, let the fire start up again, and repeat as necessary until the turkey was done.

I finally gave up on it! Fast forward to recently when my wife's son gave me an old Sunbeam grill (cast aluminum housing, glass window on the lid, rusted out burner, rusted cooking grate, rusted rock grate with lava-rocks, rickety frame, etc.). I replaced the burner with a Walmart 'universal' (that means it fits everything equally poorly) burner but could not get any heat from it. I took the two-section gas valve apart and finally figured out that someone had done this previously but had reassembled it wrong. After putting it back together correctly, I now had heat but, when turned up more than about 1/3, I also got yellow flames and soot. There was no adjustment for more air with those light-weight crinkled aluminum pipes that went to the gas valve snouts but that was OK because with the right side of the burner off and the left side turned down to low, it would hold about 225 degrees pretty well. My first try was a small rack of ribs on the right side of the grill with an oven thermometer on the cooking grate between the ribs and the trimmings.

Smoke was via smoke bombs (aluminum-foil wrapped pieces of apple limbs about the diameter of a sharpie and about 5-6 inches long with 4-5 holes in it) - more about this later... The result was good to us whose idea of BBQ was meat slathered with BBQ sauce baked in an oven. This was in July. We had my daughter and her husband over several weeks later and I wanted to cook ribs again but needed to cook two racks.

I found out quickly that there wasn't room on the right half of my half-a$$ed smoker for two racks so had to cut them in half and partially overlap them to fit and didn’t have any room for the rib trimmings. Still, some of the ribs got into the hot spot around the center of the grate and had to be rotated frequently. Five or so hours later, they were done and ate pretty good. Now to the Sow's Ear. I wanted/needed more cooking surface so bought a well-used, circa 2001 $15 Uniflame gas grill found on Craig's List.

Although the grate was only a little larger than the Sunbeam's, the burners ran front to back so, using only the left burner, I would have maybe 50% more cooking surface. The frame and body of the grill were in good shape but the burners and burner/flavorizer supports were rusted out and the flavorizers were long gone. Needless to say, it was filthy.

About two weeks work, on and off, a couple of cans of oven cleaner, half a package of SOS pads, and frequent scrapings with a putty knife it was clean. The process wasn't entirely hard work as frequent infusions of adult beverages helped allay the frustrations usually involved with this sort of project. I had burner supports made from 10 ga. steel sheet. Rather than use new flavorizers , I had two 10 ga. angles made so I could use a rock grate setup similar to the one in the Sunbeam.

I couldn’t use store-bought angle iron as these supports bolted to the porcelain pan that formed the bottom of the grill and its sides were tapered at about 15 degrees. My fabricator (I worked there before I retired so these were all 'government' projects) didn't have any expanded metal for the rock grate but they did have some 1/4 inch perforated 304SS plate that would do. Now the structure of the grill was complete.

I picked up a couple of Walmart's 'universal' tube burners for $10 each and they didn't work worth a cr@p either - the base of the flames were away from the burner and they would blow themselves out. In addition, the holes in the burner went too far back so there were flames behind the shield that is supposed to protect the gas valves so back to my friends to have eight holes on each side welded up.

I drilled several more holes in the burners to help with the burning with limited success before I finally figured out how to make them work but sometime during the experimentation (which had become a personal challenge) I ordered the proper replacement burners and that's what is in it now. (If you want to know how to make the cheapie burners work, PM me and I'll share my solution.)

Now, I'm ready to cook. I still had the rib trimmings from when my daughter and her husband came over in August so I decided to try them in the Sow's Ear as my first cook. I put several firebrick on the stainless rock plate to help hold heat and made a drip pan from aluminum foil to sit on the firebrick under the right half of the cooking surface, heated her up, put the meat on, the oven thermometer in amongst the meat, and closed her up. I checked an hour later and the temp was low so I turned the one burner up a bit. An hour later it was still low so I began to suspect my drip pan as the edges of it were up to the bottom of the cooking grate and might be preventing the heat from circulating under the meat. I removed it and temps came up to where I could turn the burner back down to low and hold about 225 degrees.

I put a smoke bomb on the rock grate above the burner and soon I had smoke, unfortunately it was white but settled down after a while. After about four hours, I was ‘give out’ from chores and took the meat off the Sow's Ear, wrapped it in aluminum foil, added some apple juice, and put it in my oven at 250 degrees then sat down to rest.

Unfortunately, I went to sleep and when I woke 1-1/2 hours later found that my apple juice had cooked out and much of the meat had the texture of a pine cone on the road that had been run over a bunch of times (note: my oven thermostat is not accurate at lower temperatures!). The bottom pan on the Sow's Ear had three holes made in it - under the first and third burners the hole was about 1-1/2 X 5 inches and under the middle burner about 5 inches round and there was a grease catch pan below it. I made covers for the center and right-hand holes with some aluminum flashing material so most of the air would draw from the left.

I picked up a piece of 2-1/4 inch tubing from local muffler shop's drop that had a 90 degree bend in it to make a stack. I mounted it on the right side of the hood. Unfortunately, the lowest I could mount it was about 4-1/2 inches above the cooking surface.

The vertical section is about 12 inches tall and slightly above top of the hood. Next cook was some more ribs. I had bought a couple of thermometers from Walmart's that had 12 inch stems for $5 each and calibrated them with boiling water (they didn't go low enough to calibrate with ice & water, too). I put one in the stack and could lay the other on the side of the grill with the hood laying on top of it for a check about 1/2" above the cooking surface.

The oven thermometer went next to the ribs. Smoke bombs were used as before with white smoke settling down to light, wispy gray after 10-15 minutes. I used a 10 X 14 baking pan of water under the ribs to catch drippings and only one firebrick at the end of the pan near the left hand burner. The cook was pretty uneventful and the ribs were good although maybe I rushed them a bit as they weren't quite as tender as I thought they should be.

Temps held pretty well with grate temp 220-240 degrees or thereabouts, I had to fill the water pan every couple of hours, and the thermometer in the stack registered around 350. So far, so good.

Yesterday I cooked a 6 lb. Boston Butt roast, my first. I used the 10 x 14 baking pan full of water and no firebricks at all. I fired it up at 5:30 AM, put the meat on at 6:00, thermometers as before, and went back to bed. Got up at 8:30 (I'm retired so I have seven Saturdays per week - its grand!) and checked it - temp a little low (190) and the pan was empty. I filled it with hot water from the sink then I noticed the drip! The pan was old, rusted and now had a pin-hole leak.

I raided the kitchen and got another, pulled everything off, changed the pans, more hot water from the sink, put it all back together, and closed the lid. I watched the temps and they came up to about 235 so didn't open the lid for a couple of hours. I checked every couple of hours but the pan didn't lose any water and was collecting grease. Around 2:30 or so a little breeze came up and the temps dropped.

I turned the burner up and nothing happened - little change in the flame. Damn!!!! Must be trash in the valve or manifold, will have to take it apart again to fix it. I fired up the center burner but with both burners going there was too much heat so I shut off the left burner and temps came up to where they should be so I let'r continue cooking.

I took the thermometer out if the stack and ran it through a notch in the grill body (for the warming rack?) and into the butt. It read abut 150 degrees. About 4:00 I checked temps again and the butt was about 155 degrees and i was getting worried that it wouldn't be done by 6:00 supper so I foiled it, added some apple juice/cider vinegar, put it back on the grill with the thermometer in it and bumped the heat a bit and went back inside again and went to sleep (us old folks need our naps).

I got up at 5:30 and checked it. Yikes! Grill temp was 350 but the temp inside the butt was just under 200. Funny how the temps go up when the water pan cooks dry. I hope it cleans up ok. I took the butt in and there was still juice in the foil. I pulled it with a pair of forks and we had pulled-pork sandwiches & french fries last night - pretty good.

Conclusions: -I think that maybe the only 'silk purse from a sow's ear' may be the UDS. -Smoke bombs don't work well as there was a bit of aftertaste to the pork which I will attribute to the white smoke. Maybe if I started the smoke bombs on a fish cooker and didn't add they until the white smoke was gone it would be better. Anyone have any suggestions?????

• Thanks
Reactions: Buk
I made it a little over halfway through your post. My initial thought is that for what you spent on new parts, hardware, and cleaners, you could have bought a used offset smoker on Craigslist. Then you could use something actually designed for smoking meat.

Keep your eye out.

Back