ACME Firebrick safe for direct cooking?

I do know that if you cook a pizza on a stone directly laying on a platesetter in a BGE,like the video shows,you will burn the bottom before the top is cooked properly every time,if you make an airspace between the platesetter and stone,you will have much better luck.Also,if I am not mistaken,a wood fired oven does not have the heat generated from below,but at floor level,then radiating down.Just an observation.

I do know that if you cook a pizza on a stone directly laying on a platesetter in a BGE,like the video shows,you will burn the bottom before the top is cooked properly every time,if you make an airspace between the platesetter and stone,you will have much better luck.Also,if I am not mistaken,a wood fired oven does not have the heat generated from below,but at floor level,then radiating down.Just an observation.

You are correct. My plan was to put the fire brick splits directly on the cast iron cooking grate. I will have another grate lower where the smoking stone sits (below the cooking grate) with a couple fire bricks on that to help prevent direct heat. I will cook the pizzas directly on the firebrick that's sits on the cooking grate.

I will use that method first and see how it goes but my other thought is if I use the fire brick splits which are 1 1/4" thick I may not need more heat distribution below the cooking grate as the bricks I plan to cook on should absorb the direct heat anyway.

Once I get it all in place and cook on it I'll post some pron for the pron addicts here.. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Set it right on there !!
-----corn meal works great. Got a buddy that uses his akorn all the time for pizza's. they are awesome.

Well lookie there! Pizza being cooked right on the firebrick!

What's your friend use in the Akorn to cook his pizzas on? Does he use firebrick like I was planning to do?

No, that's not a rodent, that's tri tip in the wfo.

9-122.jpg

Got the bricks

OK I went ahead and picked up 6 bricks. Cost me $10! Below is a pic of the configuration I will use them in. I have to trim about 2" off the corners but other than that they are good to go.

I just think this will make great pizza's! I can't think of a better way to replicate a pizza oven.

Thoughts?

Oh and I confirmed nothing weird was in the bricks. All natural. I specifically asked about asbestos. And confirmed that they were used to build outdoor ovens.

Last edited:
how is the heat going to get up to the top of the pizza?

I think those bricks are going block a lot of it?

I dont know, never did that before

It's hard to tell in that pic but where the gaps are is about 4" of space. Plus I'm gonna cut the corners off and leave about 1" or so from the edge on the corners. I plan to get a 650-700 degree fire going. I'm thinking that'll work. I'm more concerned that I may need to put another form of heat distribution below the grate. But I'll try it both ways and see what works best.

Back