THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I know I'm fairly simple minded but why would you just not vac-pack and freeze? I usually put a serving in a fold over sandwich bag and fill a large vac-bag and seal it. I may take out one or two servings and re-vac the large bag.
Ed

Just a couple of reasons.... The sausage will be shelf stable for 5 years, I free up freezer space for important things like steak. lol
I don't like to spend money on single use vacuum bags, my jars are reusable. :thumb:

Just a couple of reasons.... The sausage will be shelf stable for 5 years, I free up freezer space for important things like steak. lol
I don't like to spend money on single use vacuum bags, my jars are reusable. :thumb:
Like your thinking Jeanie. Never got into canning but I can see that it would pay to do it that way.

Like your thinking Jeanie. Never got into canning but I can see that it would pay to do it that way.

Thanks George! I don't like to rely on the electricity out here. It's just nice to have shelf stable food. :-D

Great find indeed. I am much more frivolous and vac freeze mine too. I have found some cheap pint bags at Menards though.

Jeanieous! I like shelf stable too.Freezers are great and convenient ,,,,,until they go out.I like having the eggs in more than one basket. Nice haul.

How do you get the sausage shelf stable? I know you need to pressure can but, what else is involved and how do you do it safely? Are you using Pick Salt #1 and #2?

Great find indeed. I am much more frivolous and vac freeze mine too. I have found some cheap pint bags at Menards though.

Thanks Joe! I'm glad that works out well for you!:-D
I don't have a Menards close by... I do have a vacuum sealer, just rarely use it.

Jeanieous! I like shelf stable too.Freezers are great and convenient ,,,,,until they go out.I like having the eggs in more than one basket. Nice haul.
Thanks Hoss! Glad to see you understand where I'm coming from. lol
I have a lot of home canned goods. They make for quick meals! :-D

How do you get the sausage shelf stable? I know you need to pressure can but, what else is involved and how do you do it safely? Are you using Pick Salt #1 and #2?

The jars of sausage are shelf stable. Once the jar is opened, I eat it or store it in the fridge. No salts or cures are used. The pressure canning process kills microorganisms in low acid foods. The food is processed at 240 degrees for a certain amount of time, depending on the food and the size of the jar. These were processed for 75minutes at 12lbs of pressure....for my area. You have to adjust the process for your altitude.
If anyone has a pressure canner, they need to follow the instructions that come with it.

I keep a lot of home canned foods on hand. They are my quick fix meals! :-D

Venison stew...

083j3cZ.jpg

9gxX0Cn.jpg

Smoked butter...

YEfKznO.jpg

1tjNbaG.jpg

Smoked chicken gumbo...

BBEaYvc.jpg

i862ZG4.jpg

ibKAd9Z.jpg

It's just nice to have the food on hand and shelf stable. :-D

I was under the thought you didn’t go to supermarkets! Was going to ask how you raise the crabs you had for the birthday meal….����

I was under the thought you didn’t go to supermarkets! Was going to ask how you raise the crabs you had for the birthday meal….����

lol I wish! I have thought about seeing what else I could raise in the shrimp pond. Crabs would be wonderful! :-D

Nice score! Love the idea on shelf-stable.

Thank you Mik! It's nice to have quick meals on hand. :-D

Back