A Guam Style Brisket

Just incredible Jeanie! I see sammiches, chili, beans, tamales, etc.!

I am continually amazed at how you can put up so many posts and they are all great, interesting, and delicious looking - very impressive!

And as for coming to CA - you know we'd all love to see ya out here and we'd see to it you have an awesome time - and, it's kinda early to know for sure, but down the road there may be some Pholks you'd really wanna see coming out this way, so keep that in mind! :thumb:

Thanks for the kind comments! Rueben and Lupe have some great tasting recipes. I've tried a few and have never been disappointed.

Thanks ssv! That's my birthday weekend. Had plans for camping but might have to rethink it. Would be fun to meet all of you!

That is a really interesting cook. Those flavors must be outstanding!
Really well done Jeanie, always impressed with your cooks.

The rake made me chuckle.. :mrgreen:

Thanks Sam! Everyone should have a cooking rake. :biggrin1:

Fabulous as always! :thumb::thumb: Jeanie, did you use a rub or just the marinade?
Neil thank you!! I went with his marinade recipe. Will try the dry rub next time. :-D

Jeanie, "wow" and "that's incredible" just doesn't fully express how impressed I am with your technique and use of flavors. :-D

Two quick questions:

How much space is there between the ends of meat strips and the heat source?

Also, how do you keep the heat low? From the photo it appears to me you've got a direct heat setup.

Thanks again for sharing this!
Thank you Bruce! I'm guessing the heat is 2' below the meat but I'd have to measure for sure. I used a few coals at a time and added more when needed. The temp stayed lower when I closed the hood on the cooker... got more flair ups from the juice dripping while the door was open.

looks great!!! really great, but what about safety. would it be shelf stable like some jerkey? were the pieces themselves brought to a safe temperature during the cook? also if you wanted to do pork this way would it be safe without curing? thanks!

It's definitely not jerky, more of roasted meat. Even though it had cure in the marinade, I bagged and froze what I couldn't use right away. No way I can eat a whole brisket by myself. lol It was cooked... more like roasted meat. The fat around the edges was crisp and juicy. Melted in my mouth when I took a bite. :)
If I were going to try pork, I'd do it the same with this recipe. This has cure, but if I want cured pork, more like bacon, I'd add 1 TBs of TQ per lb of meat. It would have a totally different texture and flavor than slow roasted pork though.

Looks off the chain good... Nothing else i can say that has not been said... I want some really bad!!!

Thanks so much Paul! I'd share if you lived closer. Hope your trip is going well!

Just incredible Jeanie! I see sammiches, chili, beans, tamales, etc.!

I am continually amazed at how you can put up so many posts and they are all great, interesting, and delicious looking - very impressive!

And as for coming to CA - you know we'd all love to see ya out here and we'd see to it you have an awesome time - and, it's kinda early to know for sure, but down the road there may be some Pholks you'd really wanna see coming out this way, so keep that in mind! :thumb:

Greg, you're too kind! Thank you!
That would be awesome if Phu and gang make it to Cali!

Thanks again everybody, hope you check out Rueben's other cooks!

That's a great way to cook , we have a neighbour that does similiar,and that looks great.
I want to look in your Freezer, you keep saying your bagging and freezing.
be interesting in there I reckon.

lol Thanks Titch. My freezer is packed! :oops:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Greg, you're too kind! Thank you!
That would be awesome if Phu and gang make it to Cali! I'll come out there too and we'll have a few big ole parties and feasts!
ftfy!

That sounds great!! :becky:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Great Post Jeanie!
My wife is chamorro, she has a bunch of family in Agana, I love the food there.
There is always a bowl of finadenne in the frig. We can,t have a BBQ at the house without kelaguen, red rice, and shrimp paddies.
Now I know what I'm cooking this week end.

Thanks,

Thank you very much for sharing. This is going on the "to cook" list for sure. Now I'm hungry and stuck at my desk! :mmph:

Great Post Jeanie!
My wife is chamorro, she has a bunch of family in Agana, I love the food there.
There is always a bowl of finadenne in the frig. We can,t have a BBQ at the house without kelaguen, red rice, and shrimp paddies.
Now I know what I'm cooking this week end.

Thanks,

I would love to spend a week at your house! Bet the food is fantastic!!
Thank you!

Thank you very much for sharing. This is going on the "to cook" list for sure. Now I'm hungry and stuck at my desk! :mmph:

Thank you Hagisan! I'll fed ex some to ya for lunch. :biggrin1:

Looks great Jeanie. Kinda like a cross between beef bacon and jerky. Looks delicious. Sounds like you could sprinkle some pepper or crushed red pepper on them after the marinade and before the grilling.

Back