7 packers, 2 butts, 2 drums, 2 welding blankets - at 5 degrees.

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
The title pretty much sums it up. My buddy's boss asked him last week if he'd smoke some briskets for his son's wedding on Saturday (yesterday). Turns out it was (7) 14-15 lb packers and (2) 12-lb pork butts. We each have a UDS. I borrowed my cousin's CS-570 to add to the weapons list, but the poor gal couldn't get up to temps, so there we were yesterday morning at 6 a.m. wondering how the hell we were going to pull it off.

We loaded both drums to the gills w/ lump and fired them up. By 7a, we had both drums at 350 and loaded the meat on them. They were...well...full. We got all but one brisket loaded in the drums. The last one went in my oven. When all that cold meat went on, the temps of the drums dropped significantly of course, but we were able to get them back up to 300 after the first hour. At the two hour mark, we swapped the brisket in the oven for one in a drum so they'd all have smoke.

Foiled all meats at the 4 hour mark and started probing for tenderness at the 5 hour mark. Long and short, all but the butts were done by the 6 hour mark. The butts took another hour.

The wedding was 30 minutes from my house. Since it was more frigid than my ex-wives outside, we decided to leave all the meat whole and slice the briskets and pull the butts on-site. We vented, then loaded 5 briskets into the top loading Cambro (Craigslist - $20!) I got last week and put the rest into his heavy duty igloo along w/ 3 pans of Keri C's Hog Apple Baked Beans. The cambro held those 5 packers for almost 5.5 hours and when we took them out to slice them they were still too hot to handle. I love my "new" Cambro.

We were way too busy and stressed to take pics, but the evening was a complete success. We went to drop off the meats, but they were short handed in the back, so we stayed after slicing and pulling and helped run food out (it was his boss, afterall.) Ten or more people, including his boss, his bosses boss, the bride, and several others made trips back to the kitchen to thank us and talk about the brisket.

It was a good night. I just woke up after sleeping 10 hours. :)

I don't cater but did something similar for a wedding this summer too and it's an awesome feeling when everything goes as planned and people love your food.

Very thought out story. I like all the little details you made up. However, without pictures, site rules are it didn't happen. :razz:

I know what brisket and pork look like. Great job, and kudos to helping out you buddy! you guys done good. Besides, the fact that you had so many people complementing the quality of your meat, tells the tale that pictures can't! Outstanding.

Glad it went well. Did a similar event recently so I totally understand the stress. I didn't get the pic's I wanted either. I was far to busy. The main thing is it was a success! Congrats

Great Job! I'm sure it was all wonderful! I imagine you both found your selves coming and going the entire cook. I'll be firing my cooker up as soon as we get into the 30's here.

Back