64-Day Dry-Aged, 18-hour Sous Vide, Carne Crosta Seared Prime Rib + Sushi Bonus!

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I put this 4 bone grassfed Hereford prime rib into an Umai bag back in October and cooked it for Christmas. No before pics, but here she is after a 64 day age.
1482704013_zpspt47i9qa.jpg

1482704010_zpszn8day1m.jpg

Trimmed, trussed, and hit with a little kosher and herbs de provence. Then into my redneck sous vide for about 18 hours.
1482704005_zpsgd9i9b0s.jpg

1482704066_zpswc2ibvzv.jpg

1482704071_zpsby3c3uba.jpg

1482704062_zpsqcydislz.jpg

1482704095_zpshf56p3pv.jpg

1482724149_zpscfgrldxv.jpg

1482724144_zpsyhlrnmvb.jpg

Outta the hot tub, gently patted dry, then painted with rendered beef kidney fat. Applied more herbs de provence and Oakridge Carne Crosta, then a quick sear in a screamin hot old Griswold whilst butter basting.
1483634448_zpsfoykagvw.jpg

Served with creamy horseradish sauce, au jus made from the SV bag liquids, deglazed pan goodness, and my 48 hour beef neck/shank stock. Sautéed some green things and red onions in bacon grease, and cheesy company taters too. Washed down with a local Scotch Ale (him) and cabernet (her) This didn't suck!
1483634443_zpsljkvch54.jpg

BONUS New Year's Eve sushi plate!
1483634453_zpsugeen0do.jpg

The pan is a big ole #12 Griswold cast iron skillet. In case you meant the redneck sous vide setup, that's a large electric turkey roaster hooked into a Inkbird temp controller. Works great for $35!

Oh no, I meant the griswold :) When I see someone post one that size without the Lodge assist I have to ask! I use both a large and small logo for users. Damn fine pans!

That looks phenominal! WOW!!! Did you make the sushi too?

Yessir! Raw sushi grade tuna and salmon, barely cooked then chilled Gulf shrimp, and Cali/Boston rolls for the faint of heart. Finally found an easy to make Eel/Kabayaki sauce that I like, too!

ETA - Here's the Kabayaki I used per PM request. Basically a tweaked recipe from AllRecipes.

1/2 cup each soy sauce, white sugar, & mirin. Combine with a whisk in a pan, and reduce almost halfway over medium heat on stove top, whisking often. Keep an eye out, it'll foam up and boil over, even on medium/low heat, so remove from heat and continue whisking as needed. When it's almost syrupy, remove from heat and whisk in a few drops of fish sauce to taste (optional). Sauce will thicken as it cools. Mine got too thick to squeeze out of the condiment bottle after sitting in the frig, so I thinned it out a bit with a little ponzu sauce, using a chopstick inside the bottle. That was fun!

Back