THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
IMF
A while back we dry aged whole prime rib bone in (mostly whole, it was missing a couple steaks).
After 53 days in the UMAi bag it looked like this

View attachment 154628

After trimming like this

View attachment 154629

Separated the bones

View attachment 154630

Cut the steaks

View attachment 154631

And the ribs

View attachment 154632

Everything was vacuum packed and off to the freezer
The ribs came out this week and after thaw, rubbed with our porcini mushroom rub

View attachment 154633

Let them rest and adjust to room temp while the rub soaks in a little
(I was generous with the rub)

View attachment 154634

On to the pooper she goes!

View attachment 154635

Mid cook – Smoked for a while then up to 275° when bark looked good wrapped in foil

View attachment 154636

And she is done!

View attachment 154637

Rested and cut open – still moist!

View attachment 154638

Meat on a stick!

View attachment 154639

Held the moisture good, had some smoke, bark, bone, a little fat………………yum

View attachment 154640

Plated with some Mac N Cheese and green Bean salad that MSD made and ready to eat!

View attachment 154641

These were VERY good and more filling than they looked. I could only take down one but they were also very good yesterday!
Thanks for Lookin
SD

Last edited:
I love a meaty beef back rib

Paul, 2 questions if you will.

Do those bags work with a food saver type vac sealer?
Does it matter; bone in or bone out?

I'm not Paul but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night...

Yes they work with a food saver vac sealer. The bags come with a little strip that you put in the edge to seal it.

I did boneless rib roast 29 days that we ate on new years eve eve and it came out great. We had a couple steaks from it the other night and they are amazing.

here's the link: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255477

Last edited:
I'm not Paul but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night...

Yes they work with a food saver vac sealer. The bags come with a little strip that you put in the edge to seal it.

I did boneless rib roast 29 days that we ate on new years eve eve and it came out great. We had a couple steaks from it the other night and they are amazing.

here's the link: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255477

Thanks i dont have the room for a beef aging fridge. I already have a dry aged salumi fridge and a beer fridge. The beer fridge runs cold so isn't good for curing or aging.

Thanks Steve
Yes, I used a regular vac sealer and the instructions show how to fold and seal in two steps if it is not large enough.

Bone out is easier because you have to take precautions to cover the sharp bone edges (folded paper towel) so they do not break through the UAMi bag.

I've done a couple bone out and this was the only bone in I did

They have several videos and FAQ on the website

https://www.drybagsteak.com/

Thanks i dont have the room for a beef aging fridge. I already have a dry aged salumi fridge and a beer fridge. The beer fridge runs cold so isn't good for curing or aging.

I used my beer fridge, which occasionally freezes food, and my turned out very good. I made sure to check it many times each evening and while doing so grabbed a beer....

Yes, in fact that's what they recommend and re-sell themselves! Check their site: http://www.drybagsteak.com/

The ones I've done have been bone-in so far. No issue, since you're not really vacuum bagging, but trying to get about 80% of the surface in contact with the bag.

I got my last couple of rib roasts up to 38 days (stealth time extension for the Missus). 53 - how much better?

Last edited:

The Umai bags don't need a special fridge - just enough rack space you can leave them be. And they like it to open and close a lot for air flow, so a beer fridge could do the job.

The Umai bags don't need a special fridge - just enough rack space you can leave them be. And they like it to open and close a lot for air flow, so a beer fridge could do the job.

I wasn't sure if would be too cold as it runs near freezing. I know too cold affects curing just not sure about aging temps. I think im gonna pull the trigger. The market has strip loin on sale but id prefer something from the rib

Back