$200 Smoker

At $200 - 14" Weber smokey Mountain or a Weber 22" kettle is about the best you can do for off the shelf. There just isn't much that's good at the price point. Most everything else is junk. It won't last long or work right. He'll end up frustrated and not enjoy using it.

If he is a guy who enjoys a little DIY project, She could buy him this -

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/big-poppa-s-engineered-drum-smoker-kit

and a barrel. He'd have a kick arse rig and he'd have a weekend project. She might even have enough left to buy him a BBQ Brethren Membership!

Or if she did want to pony up a little more, things get much more interesting at the $300 range.. Pit Barrel Cooker, 18" WSM, 26" Weber, an Akorn, and so on.

Id recommend a upright propane. they run around that budget. Most of us don't want one of those, for me its because I had one a long time ago and found better options.

The brinkman charcoal smoke 'n grill, followed by an electric one was my gateway smoker. If your wife is looking for a $200 smoker than you are not yet an avid reader of this board, thus you need something to get you started. Propane lousy for a smoker but real easy to run. Double the money and find a pellet pooper. Learning curves are for those looking to expand their horizons.

The budget is fine get the 14.5 Weber wsm. Those Weber bullets are world class smokers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of ways to go. And I will stay within the OP's budget of $200 and not offer advice on finances. If the only need is a smoker and size isn't a big issue, then for a gift I would recommend the WSM 14.5. To me, that's an easy choice. And as a gift, I'm sure the giver would prefer new. If it needs to grill and smoke, and have a little more capacity, then the Weber Kettle and a smoke 'n sear can be found within budget, and will give more functionality. And I know how unpopular this is with this crowd, but if he is new to this hobby/passion, then I have no problem recommending a Char Griller with the firebox. Get the well documented gaps all sealed up for $15 with self stick gaskets, get a cover, and you have a big grill/smoker and he'll get 5 years out of it to decide if he wants to upgrade, do more mods, etc. I know that's how a lot of people (myself among them) get into this deal and learn to smoke on an offset and start to do research about what else is out there in terms of equipment. Just a suggestion (that I know is very unpopular)that fits in budget to add to the possibilities. My first choice is definitely the WSM if need is smoker and capacity isn't a concern. Great to have somebody want to give this as a gift!

Big Papa kit if he's handy. 14"WSM if not. Many people don't trust CL and if you don't know what to look at on a used unit you can just be flushing money down the toilet.

Back