♫♫ I'm back in the saddle again ♫♫ live cook in progress

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
All the stars and planets aligned and I fiiiiinally was able to roll the Shirley out of the garage after an over 6 month hiatus. 1 brisket turned to 2 turned to 3, pork butts were on sale and so was corned beef, and I had a sirloin tip roast that needed to be cooked, so here we are. I have used my Primo a few times here and there, but I haven't been cooking much lately. Hopefully I haven't lost my mojo...it took me twice as long to prep the meat and get the Shirley fired up and ready to cook than it used to. :crazy:

Sam's Club Excel prime packer in the front, 13.29lbs pre trimmed, 9.04lbs post trim:mmph: In the rear, Costco IBP prime packer 14.65lbs pre trimmed, 10.9 lbs post trim. Sam's brisket got EAT Barbecue Zero to Hero and the Costco one got Oakridge BBQ Black Ops. The Sam's brisket was a last minute addition, I'm not usually a fan of their prime briskets but it's all they had so I dealt with it.

Left to right: Sam's brisket, Costco brisket, top center corned beef point, bottom center sirloin tip roast, then a grass fed brisket (or something), then two Boston butts 8lbs each, rubbed with Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon.

My driveway is pretty steep, though the pictures don't really make it look that way. I had to figure out how I'm was going to secure it, as I had a perfectly flat driveway before that I could hand move the cooker around and didn't even need to chock the wheels.

It feels good to be back in the saddle again :thumb:

Last edited:
Haha...yeah that's not a bad idea. Sadly its sole purpose in life at the moment is to be a place to get charcoal chimneys going for its big sister.

Another fan of the top rack. :thumb: I need to roll mine out and fire it up. I haven't cooked on it since November.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Sam's / EAT Barbecue MPS brisket....tracking a little ahead of the one from Costco > 170*

Costco / Oakridge BBQ Black Ops ~ 168*

The corned beef his 170*....I brought it inside to finish, may try an Instant Pot / steam finish but I'm having difficulty finding info on how long I should pressure cook this thing when it's around the temp that it is.

Not picture is the "brisket" / mystery meat, I wrapped it as well, it's looking really nice, definitely has a different beefy goodness to it than the other store bought ones.

Sirloin hit 145*, so I pulled it. I plan to slice it thin deli meat style...we'll see. This was definitely a MSU with the sirloin, never really done something like it before. I applied a heavy coat of Montreal steak seasoning a couple days ago, then I'll put it back in the fridge and run it across the meat slicer cold.

All looks perfect to me,smoker weather, how do you keep your driveway free of cooking splatter,

Looking outstanding sudsandswine! Gotta feel good to be back at it. Haven’t gotten that far along yet. It’ll happen.

Smelled so good they sent a B2 by for a flyover :becky:

That's a B-2 Spirit, stealth bomber, mate! How'd you score the fly-over!?

I'd just chuck the corned brisket in the IP and give it a shot on high for about 10 min with a natural release.

Give it a good probing for tenderness in all the real estate and reevaluate from there.

Just my unrequested suggestion and 2 cents.

Great to see you back it, and with a vengeance!

Best regards and thin blue.

Im in the flight path for Whiteman, basically due west of there a few minutes @ jet speed, has been a fairly common occurrence since moving here. Pretty sure I heard em fly out last night. Get a fair amount of A10's and the occasional Blackhawk and Chinook too :thumb:

All looks perfect to me,smoker weather, how do you keep your driveway free of cooking splatter,

I kept it clean by never cooking on it until today :biggrin1:

It took two 15 minute trips through the Instant Pot to get the pastrami where I wanted it but......man is it delicious. I've tried pastrami a few other times over charcoal but the stick burner really made it special. I just wish I'd started with a bigger hunk of corned beef.

Butts hit 165-170 and had the color I wanted, always great mahogany out of Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon. I wrapped in foil cuz I'm tired and I want to speed em up. Once the briskets are done the butts will finish in the oven so I can get the Shirley cooled down and back in the garage before the rain arrives. Or....that's the plan, anyway.

Back