• Veal Osso Buco on the Kamado: An Italian Gravy Dish Fit for a King

Yum! Love me some Osso Bucco ever since I used to eat it in New York's Little Italy in the mid-90's!

I usually serve mine with scratch made pappardelle. Love the clay pot! Where does one find one of those?

Great looking meal! Love the clay pot!

Yum! Love me some Osso Bucco ever since I used to eat it in New York's Little Italy in the mid-90's!

I usually serve mine with scratch made pappardelle. Love the clay pot! Where does one find one of those?

The Missus picked up the clay pot at a second hand store - we also have others and really enjoy cooking stews and such in them.

Here's the recipe for the Osso Buco:

[FONT=&quot]Veal Osso Buco[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3-4 veal shanks
1/2 onion
1 carrot
2 celery stalks
5 garlic cloves
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp thyme
1/2 small can tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup beef broth
3 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

Sear the shanks in a hot pan with 2 tbsp oil until browned. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine onion, garlic, celery and carrot into food processor and pulse until down to a fine chop. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Remove shanks and place in clay pot or small roasting pan. Sautée the vegetable mix in 2 tbsp olive oil until tender. Add parsley, thyme oregano and tomato paste and cook for 3-5 minutes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Turn heat on high and add red wine and reduce for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat and add beef broth until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over shanks and add bay leaves. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cook in oven for 2-3 hours until shanks are fork tender. Serve with fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy![/FONT]

Man, what a great tutorial.:hail:

My local farmers don't raise for veal- how would this work with beef or pork?

Osso Buco

I've made it with lamb shank. It was very good! Course, lamb is like the opposite of veal in terms of the strength of the meat flavor, but it still works.

That is some last meal level grinds right there.....well done sir!
Probably my favorite meal but it's next to impossible to find veal shanks in my hood.

Man, what a great tutorial.:hail:

My local farmers don't raise for veal- how would this work with beef or pork?

I've made it with lamb shank. It was very good! Course, lamb is like the opposite of veal in terms of the strength of the meat flavor, but it still works.

Before Moose posted his recipe, I Googled "Osso Buco", and found recipes for beef, pork, and lamb.

Not sure about pork as I've never seen pork shanks. I've had it with lamb...not much to my liking. We've also done it with beef shanks, though it can get REALLY fatty. If you try it with beef shanks, drain the fat before you serve, then it will be just fine.

Back