• Sometimes Leftovers Make the Tastiest Snacks: Recent Lockdown Lunches Exposed

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Some recent leftover lunches from grilled/smoked meats, starting with the most recent:

1. Spicy Korean BBQ Pork Salad:

IMG_6210_zpsrvfn9o0d.jpg

We buy delicious marinated Korean BBQ pork at our local Asian/Korean market. The meat is from thinly sliced pork butt, and the marinade is both sweet and spicy. It goes perfectly on a salad of baby greens, with red peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, and a ginger soy dressing. One of my new favorite menu items that will be in regular rotation for sure!

2. Grilled Chicken Shawarma Wrap w/ Homemade Flatbread:

IMG_E6169_zps2ryre9ya.jpg

IMG_E6170_zpsyjwpa7jl.jpg

I used the Chicken Shawarma marinade recipe(from Tin Eats) that's been floating around here recently with great results. Grilled boneless chicken thighs are the perfect cut for the Shawarma marinade. The Missus made homemade flatbread, a pretty easy procedure. I dressed the wrap with a Mediterranean style "salsa" of tomatoes, onions, and fresh parsley and the wrap received a generous slather of garlic spread and Yemeni Zhoug sauce(Both of these are available at Trader Joe's and are great on wraps) before I folded it up.

3. Oak Smoked Tri-Tip Sammich w/Chimichurri Dressing:

IMG_62091_zpsg3qynsee.jpg

If we have leftover tri-tip, it usually gets sliced the next day for french dip sammiches. This was a welcome departure, with the tri-tip served on fresh artisan bread, with homemade chimmichurri, greens, and tomatoes. Very tasty!

4. Homemade Smoked Pastrami on Warm Russian Rye w/ LOTS of Mustard:

IMG_6151_zpsgcdg8ywy.jpg

IMG_E6159ad_zps28gz3fbg.jpg

Our pastrami method involves taking a corned beef point, and debrining it for 16 hours. I use Katz's rub recipe for the pastrami, then a long slow smoke on the drum using oak. We let the meat cool and refrigerate overnight, then slice it very thin using an electric rotary slicer. We steam the slices right before they go on the sammich, which makes the meat super tender and helps render some of the fat.

This particular point had beautiful marbling and was off the charts. Normally, we use Jewish rye, but all the stores were out, so I opted for Russian rye, which I actually liked better!

Hope you enjoyed this visit to our little quarantine lunch diner!

Stop it Richard! :hungry:

Russian rye is guuuud. It's got a maltier taste which I prefer.

Looks very tasty, That Korean salad made me look twice.
what size are you posting pictures lately, ?
My screen is disappearing

All looks great! I do nearly the identical method for my pastrami. It's getting harder and harder to find corned points around here, and many times even if I do not much marbling. I've had a few that looked just like yours, and they are the absolute best.

Everything looked great, but that pile of pastrami was the star to me. Well done on each one!!

Stop it Richard! :hungry:

Russian rye is guuuud. It's got a maltier taste which I prefer.

Sako,

I found the Russian rye to be a slightly more delicate/softer bread, which worked perfectly with this batch of pastrami as it was so tender.

Still hoping we can get together in the near future!

Glad to see you've been eatin' well, Richard! No tatoes needed! lol

Y'all are eating good in Northridge (which doesn't surprise me). Like others have noted that pastrami steals the show.

Talent shows through whether it’s sports, or in this case, cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hate say it, that salad looks pretty darn awesome as well! So you buy the marinated meat and cook it at home? Is it Bulgogi?
And is it H-Mart?

So you buy the marinated meat and cook it at home? Is it Bulgogi?
And is it H-Mart?

Yes, we buy the meat pre-marinated at a local place called Galleria Market - Sako and I both go there. It's every bit as good as any high end Korean BBQ restaurant without the high price tag.

Two%20Meat%20Korean%20BBQ%20Dinner%20Resized%203_zpsrn5wntpa.jpg

Close up of the pork marinated in spicy chili paste:

Two%20Meat%20Korean%20BBQ%20Dinner%20Resized%205_zps2hhlquxs.jpg

Here's an entire cook thread if you want to check it out:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258307

Back