THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T

The Pickled Pig

I'm smokin' a turkey breast this weekend. It'll probably weigh somewhere around 5 lbs. and the pit will be at 225-250. I was thinking it would take somewhere in the 4-5 hour range to complete but it's been so long since I've cooked that chit that I can't remember exactly what to expect. How long should I expect the cook to take?

I like to do my turkey breasts a bit hotter and faster. At 325*F a 5 lb. breast should take I'd say between 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. I go for internal temperature more so than time. I remove and tent in foil at 165*F. Hope this helps.

Yeah... if you're in that 225-250 range, 4-5 hrs would get it to 165.

I'm with RCS though, for just the breast, I'd probably aim for 275-325.

Either way would work... If you want to compromise, start low and finish hot.

Do a search for posts by KCQuer about turkey breasts. It was one of his favorites to cook.

If you have a fresh turkey breast (not one that has been pre-brined), don't forget to brine it to help keep it moist. Here's a killer turkey brine. This is for a whole turkey. The brine time for a 5 lb breast would probably be about half.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] Smokin’ Okie’s Holiday Turkey Brine:

1 gal. water
1 c. coarse kosher salt
¾ c. soy sauce
½ c. white sugar
½ c. brown sugar
½ c. honey
½ c. apple cider vinegar
4 Tbsp. black pepper
3 - 4 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. Allspice

[FONT=&quot]Heat water/salt/sugars to rolling boil. Take off burner, add other ingredients. Allow mixture to cool before placing meat into solution. Place 10 - 12 lb. turkey in non-reactive container and cover with brine. Refrigerate for 12 hours.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Rinse well in clean water before proceeding.

This is from the Cookshack forum
[/FONT]

Back