Trying tri-tip on the smoker (pron)

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've always just grilled tri-tip with direct heat, then pulled off and foiled and rested, aiming for a nice medium rare. Today I decided to try a reverse year to get a consistent medium rare all the way through.

Hit the meat with some Oakridge Santa Maria steak rub and threw it on the Rec Tec at 215F for about 30 minutes. I normally smoke at hotter temps, but wanted to make sure it picked up some good smoke flavor. I feel like my pellet grill is smokier at lower temperatures. I turned the temp up to about 260 until the meat internal temperature hit 115. Then I popped it on a hot grill and seared both sides quickly on my gasser.

Worked out great! Had a beautiful smoky taste and the meet was just the way my family likes it. My son loves the Lexington Dip sauce I made for pulled pork a while ago, so I tried it on the beef – a little out of the ordinary, but it was pretty tasty! Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Very nice tri!

I think you mean you took it to an IT of 115, not 215?

Looks delicious!!
Reverse sear is my favorite method on a tri tip. Yours looks wonderful!

I did the same on my Rec Tec tonight. Did it at 250 for about 30 minutes until it was 110, then hit it with high heat coals till about 135. Love my Rec Tec down in San Diego by the way, as I'm sure you do as well.

Looks fantastic. Made my first trip tip yesterday and it was amazing.

Back