THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.

kenthanson

is one Smokin' Farker
I've been stewing a idea in my brain for the better part of two weeks and want to see if anyone can dissect it more than. I love cooking on a stick burner, I use one made from a 300L propane tank, so a decent size, but I only cook day cooks on it, ribs and whatnot because I don't want to feed logs all night. So, my idea is a modular smoker, a decent sized cook chamber, 200-250L propane tank, with interchangeable fire boxes, one for wood and another being a pellet hopper.

Some issues I've been able to come up with so far are, the fire boxes would be heavy so suitable connections would have to be designed. Would a pellet hopper be able to hear that much space. Air leak issues between the fire boxes and cook chamber.

Unless someone can come up with some issues I haven't thought up yet? This is probably going to be a winter project so not going to start on it any time soon.

I think your concerns are on point. You say you made a stick burner and you use it and like it, why not just make a pellet burner? Why does it need to do both when you already have a smoker that is a stick burner?

If you do take this on, I can't wait to see it, sounds crazy and very interesting. There are a lot of out of the box solutions as well to augment your stick burner for overnight cooks that are probably worth looking into.

Ah sorry I copied and pasted this from my facebook and didn't realise I left out the I cook on a stick burner but it's not mine. There is a local roofer in town and he has one but only uses it twice a year so I've been borrowing it for big cooks; grandmas 99th, bosses birthday, etc. I've wanted a ys1500 for a long time now but I absolutely love cooking on wood and only have room for 1 large sized put trailer.

Very interesting idea. It does start the wheel spinning. The things you mentioned do seem to be the most problematic. I also wonder if you would need to change the exhaust to keep the air flow correct with two types of fuel. But I'm not doing to be much help. I love my stick burners and really enjoy the overnight cook.

The correct air flow would be the biggest problem I see right off. The stick fire box on one end with a slide that shuts off the intake air similar to what are used for the warming boxes on stick burners. The pellet pooper on the other end again slider to shut off that part when not in use. You would probably need 2 full exhaust which get used at opposite ends from each fire box, again the other shuts down when not in use. You would have to use movable tuning plates to direct the heat and get equal temps across the chamber. But I'm not sure you can get enough heat out of a pellet unit to heat that large chamber and be efficient. Just off the top of my head.

maybe you could just configure the firebox so you could convert it from a wood burner to the pellet burner?

I was thinking making the firebox so you could just drop or slide in the pellet burner apparatus into your existing firebox somehow?

But, like others have stated, I don't know if it would get the cooker hot enough

Never used a pellet burner so I really have no idea.

If its on a trailer I would just mount a pellet cooker on the back of the trailer behind the stick burner. Solves the problem and you could run both at the same time. I'm assuming you have the space on the trailer.

Back