Rainy Day Brisket (w/ pRoN)

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Momma's been after me to cook a brisket for months. Finally, as we have this 4-day weekend, I bit the bullet.

It's been quite a long time since I last smoked a brisket, so I'm a little nervous (Especially with how bloody expensive they are out here on this rock):
2015-10-10%2008.07.42_zps7hgqmcdg.jpg

Sipped on some adult beverages last night and completely forgot to set my alarm for getting up to let the meat warm and the smoker to heat up. Amazingly, my body clock woke me 5 min before my supposed alarm time. Whew!

Gave the hunk of meat a light coating of oil to help hold the rub before applying some Wicken Yanks Original.

2015-10-10%2008.19.21_zpsmpej6quc.jpg

Having just combed back through the forum for Bludawg's technique and rewatching the Franklin brisket wrap test video (attempted to link below), I decided to join the butcher paper wrap club this time around.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw"]BBQ with Franklin: Brisket Wrap Test - YouTube[/ame]

After about 2.5 hours over hickory, I liked her color, so I pulled her and wrapped her up in a single layer of butcher paper. Here's the pre-wrap shot.

2015-10-10%2011.10.53_zpsrcbk2r0g.jpg

It's been a couple more hours in the sauna, so I went out to check on her. When I peeled back some of the butcher paper, she looked awfully tasty:

2015-10-10%2013.57.11_zpsafu8fyfe.jpg

Metal skewer still needed a bit heavy handed push, so back in she goes for another hour.

More to come... fingers crossed. It's been a while, but you folks've given me the knowledge I need. Now, to apply it correctly...

Looking good. I think you got just the flat. I know here at these commissaries they have have flats labeled as whole briskets. I'm having the urge to do a brisket also. Can't to see how it turns out.

Yeah, it's a flat. I haven't seen a whole brisket (and properly labeled) in quite some time... unless you special order them.

No need to keep the fingres crossed. You got a hit from what I can see!

Just stepped out and had a poke at the brisket (184F internal temp)... getting there.

Getting hungry (it's nearly 1800 here and about dinner time). Looks like we'll be eating late, and that's OK.

Whipped out some sausage, bacon, and cream cheese we had in the fridge for some semi-impromptu pig shots.

2015-10-10%2017.29.34_zps8kg3w5br.jpg

Added some hickory to the smoker (I've just been letting the smoke dwindle this late into the brisket cook) and stoked the fire a bit.

We'll have another look in a bit.

I thought for sure your brisket would be done. I'm with you on eating a late dinner. Waiting on my short ribs to be done, the baby back are done already. Hopefully your brisket turns out good.

Thanks, COS. I'm baffled at how long this has taken. I've been keeping my pit as close to 275F (or even a little higher) as I can... though, with the rain we've had today, it's generally been in the 255-265F range more often than not.

It's dark now, so I had to put on my headlamp and go out to check the kids in the sauna. Pork shots are coming along... need probably another 30-45 min.

Brisket probed better this time than all day. It's not like a hot knife through butter, but it's close. This is my first time without an internal temp on the beast, and I'm OK with that. Blu (and many other in the company), I'm in your hands with this one... and I think I'm about to come out just fine.

The butcher paper completely soaked through with all sorts of fat, had torn in about 10 different places... so I just completely rewrapped it for one last hurrah to get it to that perfect point.

Here she is just now:
2015-10-10%2018.30.36_zpseg4fr5bq.jpg

The paper smelled so good, I wanted to stuff it in my mouth or lick it or something...

That's looking like it will be a winner shadow. Some of my best cooks have been on rainy days. Something about the humidity, not sure why, just something I've noticed. :pop2:

Brisket finally came out of the smoker and is resting (comfortably?) in a warm oven while Mrs. Shadow whips up some sides.

It's okra season here in Okinawa, and there's more of it than you can imagine.
2015-10-10%2019.54.28_zpsijknfqoh.jpg

Won't be long... I'm hungry, and I don't think I can bring myself to let this hunk of meat rest much longer than about 45-60 minutes (unfortunately).

2015-10-10%2020.16.41_zpstbs9d2ow.jpg

2015-10-10%2020.22.29_zpsmka7umx5.jpg

30-45 more minutes and I think the brisket would be just right as described by Franklin: a slice, when held at one end, hanging under its own weight, will stay together until just barely pulled. Mine required a touch more than "barely pulled."

I'm hooked. No more internal temps... just cook 'till it feels right.

It's 630am here. You just made me want to pull my frozen packer out lol

Thanks, folks. Weather looks better today, and momma's asked me to whip up a very simple mop sauce for when we reheat the leftovers. I won't complain about brisket two days in a row!

Have a great weekend!

Back