Question about my smoker build

jlumpkins0627

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I'm starting to build my first smoker, I'm using a old air
Compressor tank and need to know what kinda pipe is best
for making the chimney stack? Also how do I determine the firebox
size? I believe the tank is 64" long and has a 2' diameter.
Thanks

Second the Feldons calculator. I'm in the middle of a build myself and it has been a lifesaver. As far as the stack goes it would say black iron pipe but some like to use old exhaust stacks off of a bigger truck. I am personally using an old light pole that is 3" ID

If your measurements are right on length and diameter.... Then a 6 inch stack... 20 inches long will suffice... Firebox i would go 24 wide.. 22 deep.... 20 inches tall... Those measurements can be swamped around to your liking........ A 6 inch throat opening will put you bout spot on... Going reverse flow stop your baffle plate at a minimum 6 inches from the end of the cook chamber.... 6.75 would be better so you do not bottleneck the flow... Hope this helps

Use the calculator for the size and length, but I actually prefer to use Tube, either round or square which ever works best for me. Its usually cheaper, and a lot lighter than Sch 40 black iron, depending on what you are building it can run up to an extra 100 lbs of extra weight that just isnt needed

Thanks everyone this info def helps I will post
some pics once I get further along.

Back