This was kinda Different

Hoppy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Had a customer what was buying a lot of meat from me for quite some time and come to find out he had started his own BBQ Catering Biz and was selling meat that I had cooked and telling folks he cooked it.

I suggested he name is Biz "The Bloated Goat Second Hand BBQ"

Seems like he would have let me know from the beginning and it wouldn't of been that big of deal.

Well, it sounds like you have some potential customers...and leverage against him to get his customer list? :becky:

With that in mind, up your prices for him so you are getting a cut of his profits, and have him advertise that its cooked by you, kinda like a partnership of sorts

If he doesn't tell his customers you cooked the meat, cut him off a few times.

I see it like this. Restaurants do this quite often. They get premade product and serve it as if they already made it.

I FULLY understand that it can and IS galling to see someone claim your product as their own. But, he did buy it for an agreed on price.

It sounds like you already let him know that you know. But, if you didn't it would be fun to watch his face as your prices went sky high.:twisted:

I hope I come across as just showing the other side and NOT as if I'm advocating what he did. I think it takes a turd of the highest order to claim another man's work that isn't even a stone's throw away!

I was cutting him a lot of slack because he stated he was having hard times.

I only wish that I had injected with fish oil the last batch I cooked for him.

As far as putting his name out there I think when he tries to duplicate appearance and taste folks that are buying from him will figure it out.

Also if he stated up front his intentions I could have either agreed to cook for him or not. It's the way he went about it trying to be slick.

IF you are fully HD and State regs compliant drop a friendly hint to the inspector(s) to ensure that he is. Very good chance he is not.

I am not a mean spirited guy but I cannot abide liars no matter what their circumstances.

Honestly, sounds like you are under-priced to the market. Nobody should be able to buy from you and resell at a profit, unless you are wholesaling.

No I am not. I was giving what I thought was a friend a break that I thought was having a hard time not having any idea he was re-selling.

It was brought to my attention that he was selling my product to start building a customer base.

I was cutting him a lot of slack because he stated he was having hard times.

I only wish that I had injected with fish oil the last batch I cooked for him.

As far as putting his name out there I think when he tries to duplicate appearance and taste folks that are buying from him will figure it out.

Oh man oh man!!

Now that I have this bit of info I'll say that you're a better man than me. I don't take kindly to being duped. But when I'm duped while thinking I'm helping somebody I get hard to deal with. You did much much better than I.:oops:

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when someone's tells him "These don't look and taste the same as the ones you sold me before."

I hold my cooking methods pretty close to me so he has no idea what I do.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when someone's tells him "These don't look and taste the same as the ones you sold me before."

I hold my cooking methods pretty close to me so he has no idea what I do.

Question: Is there any reason you don't just cut him off? Is he family, a good friend, etc?

He is committing fraud and not being honest with his customers. IMHO he should not be in business period.

And if he is reheating and selling the product there is a 99.99% chance that he is not legal according to State/Fed food regs. He is putting himself, and possibly you, at great legal risk.

Another thing you could do is sell to him again, and then show up where he is selling, and watch the heart attack of shock start, or better yet if you are mobile, set up next to him, the customers will figure out where the q is coming from.

I'd like to play the "Devil's Advocate". It just sounds like you were in the wholesale business and didn't know it. Think of it this way... You have a catering employee and you don't have to pay him wages, insurance, social security matchings, gas money, figure out what to have him doing when things are slow or even have to take losses on any quotes that he screwed up. The only thing you're forfeiting is the pride of people knowing it was you all along. I doubt that this fellow will go at this very long and when he gives it up maybe you can get him to pass your name around... Maybe?

No I am not. I was giving what I thought was a friend a break that I thought was having a hard time not having any idea he was re-selling.

Curious as to what you thought he was doing with the product.
If it was a rack of ribs or two I once in awhile I could see how you might think he was feeding his family, but if the guy is buying in quantity enough to re-sell, I'm curious as to what you thought he was doing with the product?

Honestly, sounds like you are under-priced to the market. Nobody should be able to buy from you and resell at a profit, unless you are wholesaling.

It was brought to my attention that he was selling my product to start building a customer base.

Just my two cents here, you should always be selling to cover your costs, overhead, and make a profit as well. Maybe you need to re-examine your sales model.

It's nice to help someone on hard times if they are buying one time, but a second sale at the same price means you are allowing them to take advantage of your generosity. You are in control of your sales. Go to full pricing unless you are hungry for his business?

If he isn't licensed and doesn't have the necessary permits and health department certificates, just report his activities. At this point he will be dead in the water.

Back