Another new member

Oak-n-hickory

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Howdy from sweltering sunny California. I'm a transplant from Texas, where I had the good fortune of eating in just about every barbecue joint worthy of the name. And while I've always done a bit of home barbecueing (started on a smoker/grill we made in JA company in high school, based on two large butane drum ends), I usually left that for special occasions and frequented my favorite commercial pits. But out here, the choices are much more limited, and "barbecue" usually translates into what I'd call "charcoal grilled". So in self-defense, I've gone through a series of smokers and grills - a Little Chief (still have it, unused for the last 25 years or so), a couple of Brinkman water smokers, and for quite a long while now, a New Braunfels (pre-merger, real one) Black Diamond. With that and a lot of practice, I've been able to crank out 'cue that's a match for any I've ever eaten.

But we've got a drought going here, and my wife doesn't want me firing up the big log-burner, so I've added a Smokin-It #3, which so far works beautifully. It can't grill, but it certainly makes very fine barbecue. The old NBBD needs a couple of replacement parts before fall - and rainy weather - arrive and I can use it again with impunity. I joined this forum mostly because a member was kind enough to post pages of an original owners' manual; mine's long gone. I don't know if that will be much help with CharBroil and their revised model numbers and such, but it's certainly a start.

And I'll stick around for tips and recipes, of course. And if anyone knows of a decent barbecue joint in the vicinity of Marin County, I'd love to find one. (Don't mention that place in Petaluma; my tastes run more to traditional Texas or Louisiana style.)

Welcome aboard the BBQ Brethren Oak-n-hickory, glad to have you here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Back