Biltong?????

Hi it's not jerky as in the USA your jerky is sweetish in taste. But biltong is very different in tasting. I think jerky is forced dried but biltong is usually just hung up to air dry.

It's really good to cut slices off when dry and eat it when having a beer. Biltong is made in South Africa predominantly. Really delicious and I make loads of it. :-D

Hi it's not jerky as in the USA your jerky is sweetish in taste. But biltong is very different in tasting. I think jerky is forced dried but biltong is usually just hung up to air dry.

It's really good to cut slices off when dry and eat it when having a beer. Biltong is made in South Africa predominantly. Really delicious and I make loads of it. :-D

Thanks for the info.

I kinda have the info on it.

I am going to hang in my curing chamber I think. I can control the temps and humidity better.

I dont like Jerky as such, but I do love Biltong,its awesome.

Let's see your recipe, Adam! Biltong has been on my to do list.

I remember reading about some guys in Africa making biltong in a giant plywood box, dried with a lightbulb. I like your drying chamber idea much better.

Yep, been there, done that and love it....

I just use a box with small light bulb and fan. All very simple.
I like eating it quite raw, some of my friends prefer very dry....

I haven't made some for a while as we have beed having a very long rainy season. It's mainly dry now, so time to start again.
I tried a couple of different cuts and have decided on silverside as the nicest cut.

I can post some pics if you like?

I haven't made some for a while as we have beed having a very long rainy season. It's mainly dry now, so time to start again.
I tried a couple of different cuts and have decided on silverside as the nicest cut.

Yep that technique is the ticket. For even better results try using rump.

so many people, so many opinions.....

I tried rump. Silverside beats rump hands down in my humble opinion.
We tested rump, silverside, topside and another cut that I can't remember just now,
It's silverside for us :cool:

Neighbor is from South Africa, makes it once in a while the lightbulb in a box way, not my favorite. Way too hard and tasteless for my likes, but he goes nuts over it.

Please do
Our South s African shop sells both dry and moist.
I much prefer the moist:thumb:

Some pictures of a very simple set up and some hanging biltong.
It works :becky:

SPcQeR0l.jpg

eE27dHwl.jpg

VlkZxi2l.jpg

XnwhoBul.jpg

My wife is from South Africa. Her family immigrated in the 80s. Her father still makes it. He uses a dehydrator but removes the heating element. It works pretty good.

Lived in SA for a couple of years. Love biltong. There are a few places you can buy them online here in the states. Just ordered a sample from biltongsuperstore.com a few months ago that was pretty spot on from what I remember. Was like $5 for an ounce sample, including shipping. I definitely like my biltong "wet". Good stuff that brings back good memories.

WOW. Lots of great info here, AFTER I already have mine going. HA.

Maybe mine is completely wrong??????

I am cold smoking one piece tonight, pics and recipe coming.

Let's see your recipe, Adam! Biltong has been on my to do list.

I remember reading about some guys in Africa making biltong in a giant plywood box, dried with a lightbulb. I like your drying chamber idea much better.

More pics and recipe coming later tonight.

Chamber is a bad idea. Zero airflow.

Its hanging in my basement.

Cold smoking a piece now.

The*below*is*for*1*kilogram*of*meat*(or*close*to*it)*
Apple*cider*vinegar*(ACV)*to*cover*meat*in*a*glass*dish*
24*grams*kosher*salt*
10*grams*toasted*and*ground*corriander*seed*
5*grams*brown*sugar*
2.25*grams*cure*#1*
.75*gram*garlic*powder*
.75*gram*onion*powder*
.5*grams*black*pepper*(fresh*ground)*
.5*grams*white*pepper*(fresh*ground)*
Slice*meat*to*the*size*you*prefer.**I*do*pieces*about*1"*thick*x*2.5"*wide*
Place*into*a*glass*dish*and*cover*with*ACV.**Let*sit*a*minimum*of*one*hour,*I*do*
2*usually.*
Once*meat*is*finished*in*the*ACV,*remove*and*pat*dry*with*paper*towels.*
Mix*all*dry*ingredients*together*very*well*and*press*into*the*meat*slices*on*all*
side.*
Place*meat*slices*on*a*rack*above*a*sheet*pan*in*the*refigerator*and*allow*
seasonings/cure*to*work*their*magic*for*a*minimum*of*24*hours,*I*do*36*at*least.**
The*pan*or*a*LOT*of*paper*towels*are*required!**There*will*be*quite*a*bit*of*
water*pulled*from*the*meat*at*this*point.*
After*sitting*in*the*frig*for*the*alloted*amount*of*time,*remove*the*meat*and*
place*on*hangers.**you*can*also*tie*a*string*around*the*pieces*to*hang*with.**
Weigh*each*hanger*of*meat,*or*each*piece*of*meat,*and*mark*the*weights*for*later*
reference.*
If*you're*not*using*a*biltong*box,*and*want*to*hang*to*air*dry,*loosely*wrap*the*
meat*hanger*with*2*layers*of*cheese*cloth*to*prevent*insects*from*getting*to*it.**
Allow*the*meat*to*dry*until*you*have*approximately*50%*weight*loss.**That*can*be*
anywhere*from*3-10*days*depending*upon*your*location*and*style*of*drying.**DO*
NOT*HANG*IN*DIRECT*SUNLIGHT!*

WOW. That come out bad. SORRY

Tried to post a vid. Didn't work.

Cold smoking one piece.

Last edited:
I spent a month in and around South Africa in college...loved the biltong. it's on my to do list for sure

Back