Redneck build from CL

That looks great. Does the rear tire get in the way when cooking?

It looks like I will have to stand a little to the left but should not be a problem, when I stood in front I had no problems reaching all areas

I figured someone in the mix was a hot rodder. That early Ford style transverse leaf spring suspension is classic. Cool build!

That thing is farkin ugly! Its funny I've been looking for a compressor tank the same size as the craftsman one.....

The redneck smoker is that much closer all that is left is to put on fenders and lights and sand it down and paint it then do a test burn and seasoning. I am debating that since it is a redneck smoker getting some sheet metal and putting fins like a 57 chevy and mount the tail light in the fins. I may not have time since I have to have it done and figure out the proper fire control for a catering on the 16th of next month. I am pretty sure I am going to paint it to match the truck. With work time to work on it has been far and few between. I should mention the catering I am doing is for the son of the guy building the smoker.

Great looking smoker, too damn cool! I'm always on the look out for old compressors and oil tanks.

Well I couldn`t wait to give it a try so we fired it up today I started it up and brought it up to just over 200 and held it there then I brought it up to 250 and held it there for a while and then brought it up to 350 and held it there. The temp seems fairly easy to control I did have to use some cowboy lump to run today as I have no hard wood ready to run it as wood only. I got a few packages of chicken thighs and seasoned them and once i got it to 350 degrees my my buddy threw on a frozen marinated pork sirloin and we let it go for just over an hour then threw on the chicken. each time I opened the lid to the cooking chamber or the firebox in only took minutes for the smoker to regain it`s temp I was very happy with that. we fired it about 10 am and played with moving the temp up and holding until about 12 ish we put the chicken on at 12:30 and ccoked it for an hour and left the pork on until just after 2. my last load of lump was added a little after noon and dropped the temp to 300 and it held until just before 3. I think it was a very successful test run and tasy also. I have to say the pork was some tasty treat. here is it running and the chicken done. BTW it took about 2/3 of a 20 pound bag of cowboy for all this I am not sure if this is good or not as I am used to my UDS

Back