Ugly A$$ Bird....

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
You're looking at a free range organic bird from New York. These birds come from a farm called plainville. This is hands down the ugliest turkey I have ever seen. this is before and after brining.(harvest Brine/48 hours) right now I have it in the refrigerator uncovered to dry the skin to start smoking around 10:00 in the morning. All these dark marks come from the bottom of the bird which makes me think it wasn't free range at all that it was packed in a birdhouse and it sat on its A$$ it's whole life. if true, that's messed up

RzyXCja.jpg

x83w78B.jpg

0v22NYh.jpg

Free range doesn't always mean they run around a barnyard or pasture pecking up bugs and stuff. It doesn't even mean they are ever truly outside. It often just means they are not in cages.

But that bird is not going to win any beauty contests, that's for sure.

That bird is going in the trash. 48 hour brine for nothing. Cant serve this to ex Senator Sam Nunn. Fvck Plainville Farms!!!!

You've gone this far...might as well cook the sucker. Unless you have a Plan B.

Once it gets all golden brown, smothered with gravy, along with the (no doubt) fabulous sides you will prepare- it will be more than fine.

Should be a day to be thankful and sharing... you can send them a nasty gram tomorrow -if you are still in that sort of mood.

Good luck- and tell the Senator I said "hey"

I hate to see that. I'd probably cook it anyway. What is your plan now? Butterball FTW? Going to have a hard time getting it thawed and cooked in time as most small birds are gone and only large birds left in the case. Perhaps it's time to think about going non-traditional and maybe doing prime rib or tri tip, ham etc. A double smoked ham is usually a hit at my house. Even a spiral sliced one with lots of glaze applied during the cook that runs down between the slices is pretty good.

Robert

I wouldn't cook it either, skin looks like it went south to me, I wont make anybody else sick, when in doubt throw it out has always been my rule that I learned early on by others mistakes.

Last edited:
To cook or not, that's tuff call. How does the meat look under the funky looking spots on the skin? If the meat looks ok and the bird didn't smell or wasn't slimy I would have to say it's good to cook. I would definitely reach out to Plainville by first calling and explaining to get their input as to if it's good to cook. Then follow up by sending pics. Years ago wife got a fresh "Amish" turkey, not so good. Skin felt more like a wetsuit and she grosses out very easily. First and last time for that. We have been happy with butterball and doing them throughout the year. 10lb-ish Good Luck Brother!

I heard it said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Unless the meat is bad I'd go with roasting it.

Hey, he's a politician getting a free feed. He'll be happy, or at least gracious. I'm sure he's eaten plenty of rubber chicken dinners.

After doing some research I found out that birds that have dark brown feathers will have spots all over the skin. Whatever it is this is the ugliest bird I've ever seen. maybe it'll look different when the skin browns up LOL

After doing some research I found out that birds that have dark brown feathers will have spots all over the skin. Whatever it is this is the ugliest bird I've ever seen. maybe it'll look different when the skin browns up LOL
There you are. The silver lining.:grin:

^^^ what he said ^^^ Pictures would be appreciated- we are sort of invested at this point.

(I know I am- at any rate)

Back