Austin TX

gaspipe1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
If the stars align I may be visiting Austin in May, arrive 7th and leave 10th. I thought I read somewhere that TM has a road trip, but not sure if that is still available.

I rather get on a bus with a buddy this way we can drink and enjoy ourselves. If this is not an option and renting a car is a must than that is what I will do.

Being that Austin is where our hotel is (aka homebase) does anyone have any suggestions, or perhaps a link on how to do it properly. Thanks in advance, it's crazy but I am sooo jacked up for this trip. Hope it comes through.

TY
Gaspare

TMBBQ is a great resource, as is the book "Prophets of Smoked Meat" - all this by Daniel Vaughn - dude knows his stuff.

Here's a TMBBQ page with a breakdown of Central TX joints:

http://tmbbq.com/Region/central/

Franklin's is great - if you don't mind waiting in line and can make it a fun thing i.e. drink and hang out, it's well worth it IMO. You can order in advance and skip the line - but you gotta be on the ball to make that happen I think.

John Mueller Meat Co. is fantastic. I haven't been to the other Austin spots except for Salt Lick (IMO SL is more about fun and lovely ladies than it is about great food - the food is OK, but definitely not the best in the area).

If you can get down to Lockhart, that'd be a good move, as is hitting the spots in Elgin like Southside Market and Meyer's.

There are a lot of places to check out in that area - we hit 8 of 'em in 3 days, and I'll be hitting a couple next month (Snow's in Lexington and Cooper's in Llano).

Thanks guys... I have some time so I will do some research. I'm thinking Friday stay in Austin try Franklin's for breakfast and then head to John Mueller for beef ribs and links.

I would really like to head over to Snow's on Sat and then shoot over to Lockhart. If I find a tour bus that does Sat road trip great, if not I'll just rent a car. I don't expect to be drinking too much on Sat. Friday's will be a totally different story.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do at these particular spots: Franklin, Snow, Kreuz, Blacks, Smitty's? I know get there early for Franklin and Snow due to the crazy long lines.

Franklin & Snow: should we bring lawn chairs for the long line or do they have them there? No need to warn me on the cooler and beer we know that :)

After going to Snow you think we will have any issue going to Lockhart and getting food there? Not sure if they too sell out as well.

Thanks again!

PS Pitmaster T, I so wanted to go to your recommendation to Killen's but it's a 3 hour ride. I can't do that within the time frame. Guess that leaves me an excuse to come again!

Franklin's - People brought lawn chairs to the line there. There's also a guy who rents them for $5. I'm not aware of the Lockhart places selling out and closing early. When we went to Smitty's, we ordered right away, there was a line at Black's (20 minutes or so? don't remember) and Kruez was 20-30 minute line. This was on a Saturday afternoon on the early-ish side I think.

I don't know about Snow's, but will be finding out in a couple of weeks.

I will say this: Get one of those soft-sided coolers and buy lots of sausage and bring it home. It freezes really well. Better to check the sausage then carry it on the plane. I did this last time and I am definitely doing it next time.

John Mueller has a squash side dish that is fantastic - everything else is too - just wanted to mention the squash). The beans are probably the best I had and, while I'm not a sauce guy, I was drinking the sauce like shots by the time I left there.

The pork chop at Kruez could be one of the best things I have ever eaten in my entire life.

Gtr.. I ready your post regarding your recent visit. Also thanks for the input. I just hope I am to pull this off. Will be doing more research and taken notes as it gets closer.

Thanks again... esp for the pork chop heads up, I would have never ordered that on my own.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Snows sells out. Quickly.

I would also recommend La Barbecue. Franklin's old patawon, in Austin. Good reviews on these, and the others already mentioned. Have fun. Pack shorts,.. May is farkin hot here.

I hope you get in early enough for Franklin Barbecue and then John Mueller.

If you have an extra day with a car rental, you may want to visit the greats; I would suggest traveling to Lockhart, TX and visiting Kreuz Market, Smitty's Market, and Blacks.

But my all time favorite was Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood about 24 miles, a 30 minute drive from Austin.

Hope you are able to make a good plan and stick with it. You may want to plan on bringing some sauce back with you.

Franklin's, Texas-Texas (good to the bone), Salt Lick, and Head Country Sauces are available at H E B Markets. However all HEB markets are not equal, I had to visit several stores before I found one that carried them.

Good luck and keep us posted...

I stopped by Franklins earlier this year and the wait was about 3-4 hours long they said. Granted this was a saturday morning but keep in mind the line is long and slow. Most people bring lawn chairs and coolers of beer for the wait. Unfortunately i couldn't wait 4 hours so i left.

Franklins and La Barbecue are pretty close to each other and also fairly close to downtown. Both have great bbq. La Barbecue is a trailer in a dirt lot with some wooden tables.....exactly what bbq should be :thumb:

OK it's official. I'm set to go May 7th-10th. My game plan is Friday hit Franklin's, Mueller's and hopefully La Barbecue, in that order. Sat up early to rent a car and head to Snow's and then Lockhart for the trifecta!

I can't wait, feels like I'm going to the Super Bowl to root for my favorite team.

^^^I am farking jealous. As you head to Snow's from Austin, you will pass through Elgin, where Southside Market and Meyer's is. They won't be open on the way out, but if you pass through on the way back it wouldn't hurt to hop out real quick and load up on sausage. If it's before 10, they'll still be closed but Meyer's drive-through opens at 8 or 8:30.

Did I mention I was jealous? I have thought about Snow's every day since I've been there. In the evening, you could hit Stiles Switch and you'll be glad you did. They're a little different in that they have food available through the day/evening rather than one run until sold out. They also have a bar, patio, bands playing, etc.

Well, your in luck with the weather,.. we still haven't got our summer sizzle on yet. Matter of fact we just had a farkin cold front,.. 50 this mourning. So that's another plus on for your Q adventure. :thumb:

well it's official, my flight is for this eve. Anyone have an idea what time I should be be at Franklin's or Snow's to make sure I get some?

Also I read that they now have chairs for the wait.. is this still the case or should I bring my own?

A guy rents them in front of Franklin, and snow's is all you.

Snows opens early on sat. 8am. so get there farkin early,.. like 530 kinda early.

I am assuming your hitting Franklin on Friday.?.. I would try for a 730 show up.

Enjoy! ........and,..... one more weather update,.. LOL,... we are supposed to be rainy for the next week.

5:30 AM Owww man that's early! What time do the bars close on friday :)
Franklin's line actually has a twitter feed (no joke) that updates what the lines look at. I was told no later then 8AM for a friday. Also he told me that there are free chairs there first come, first serve.

I just hope my friend is ready for a morning road trip!

A guy rents them in front of Franklin, and snow's is all you.

Snows opens early on sat. 8am. so get there farkin early,.. like 530 kinda early.

I am assuming your hitting Franklin on Friday.?.. I would try for a 730 show up.

Enjoy! ........and,..... one more weather update,.. LOL,... we are supposed to be rainy for the next week.

Great discussion guys, heading out to Austin TX myself in 2 weeks so this was very useful. I hear the queue at Franklin's is almost as famous as the meat now. Interested to hear what you ordered at franklin. After that wait time, wouldn't want to miss anything.

Back