New barrel for 'big poppa smoker' build

smokerbear88

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi

I've recently built my first UDS using the big poppa smoker kit and a brand new 55gal drum.

It's all complete and i done the first season burn yesterday. HOWEVER!

I suddenly realised I hadn't cleaned/decreased the insides. It didn't have any kind of liner as it was brand new. But it did have a greasy feel to it, I'm guessing to prevent rust while in storage. I coated everything in veg oil before starting the burn.

I had the drum get up to 400 yesterday - would this be OK to use for smoking meat now.

Or is it going to be best I roll my sleeves up and clean it back and start the seasoning again.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

I've recently built my first UDS using the big poppa smoker kit and a brand new 55gal drum.

It's all complete and i done the first season burn yesterday. HOWEVER!

I suddenly realised I hadn't cleaned/decreased the insides. It didn't have any kind of liner as it was brand new. But it did have a greasy feel to it, I'm guessing to prevent rust while in storage. I coated everything in veg oil before starting the burn.

I had the drum get up to 400 yesterday - would this be OK to use for smoking meat now.

Or is it going to be best I roll my sleeves up and clean it back and start the seasoning again.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I'm clear you have a brand new drum and already sprayed with oil and seasoned @ 400* for a good while? To be safe just get another hot charcoal fire and let it burn off any residue. If you're getting whitish smoke throughout the cook then keep burning. After that get to cooking.

I just did the EXACT same thing you are talking about.

The buildup on the inside will look fine for a bit but mine is starting to flake off....it's going to be tough for it to bind to the inside with it being so slick and new. I think I'm going to take the weed burner to it and use sandpaper and start over on the inside.

I just did the EXACT same thing you are talking about.

The buildup on the inside will look fine for a bit but mine is starting to flake off....it's going to be tough for it to bind to the inside with it being so slick and new. I think I'm going to take the weed burner to it and use sandpaper and start over on the inside.
Build up will always flake off. It has nothing to do with binding to the wall of the drum.

Back