Pork Shoulder rest

hollywood4

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I cooked 2 8lb shoulders overnight for an 1130 birthday part today. I planded on resting them from 10 to 11 and then pulling to serve at 1130. They were done at 730, took them off WSM at IT of 202 and 198 and have them resting in cooler. Will I be ok to rest for almost 4 hours?

Warp them in foil and in a cooler--which it sounds like you've done and you should be fine.

You could monitor their IT to insure they don't drop below 140, for peace of mind.

I usually rest mine for several hours. They are still very warm and super moist. Bark might be a bit soft. But you could firm it up quickly if you want.

I bet you have great pulled pork.

Rested my last butts in a cooler with towels for 4 hours and they were still too hot to handle when I pulled them.

Agree wit Stlsportster, you'll be fine and still burn your fingers when you pull them.

Last cook i did for work they were in the cooler for nearly 6 hrs and were the best ones I have ever done.

Yes, it will be fine. Actually the 4 hours will break down even more connective tissue into collagen.

I've held them for up to 8 hours when doing large events and they are still too hot to handle with bare hands.

I prefer a long rest for butt and brisket(4-6 hours)

As already said you will be improving on perfection.

Well thanks for all the reassurances. That was the largest group I have cooked for (25 people). So I was a little worried. It did seem to pull easier and it was still very hot as some of you said it would be. Everyone loved it and it def boosted my confidence for next time. Thanks everyone!

Just seeing this - I think a long rest in a cooler does wonders for a big piece of meat. Glad it worked out so well for you!

Just please monitor IT...

My cooler experience wasn't as good as others, the temp dropped close to 140 in about 3 hours. I was expecting it hold a lot longer than it did, based on what I had read from others.

Threw it in the oven as low as it could go and temps stabilized, rising back to around 150 over a few more hours.

Still came out great, and I'm pretty relaxed when it comes to all this, but we should remain careful of safe food handling temps!

Glad yours worked out well.

I am with Madman. I have let butts go wrapped in a cooler for 8 hours and they were totally awesome. Probably some of the best I ever cooked.

The longer they sit the better. Pull right apart, moist and finger lickin good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just please monitor IT...

My cooler experience wasn't as good as others, the temp dropped close to 140 in about 3 hours. I was expecting it hold a lot longer than it did, based on what I had read from others.

Was it a large cooler and a lot of air in it?

The times I've used a cooler, it turned out fine.

I use crumpled up newspaper in the bottom 1/3rd, then the butt covered in a foil tray and then more Newspaper and old towels to take up the rest of the space in the cooler. No real noticeable drop in the temp over a few hours.

Was it a large cooler and a lot of air in it?

The times I've used a cooler, it turned out fine.

I use crumpled up newspaper in the bottom 1/3rd, then the butt covered in a foil tray and then more Newspaper and old towels to take up the rest of the space in the cooler. No real noticeable drop in the temp over a few hours.

Not particularly big... Full size for sure, but not huge.

I packed towels under and over.

I'm all for the method, don't get me wrong. I was just surprised how fast it dropped for me.

Helps to pre-heat the cooler w/ boiling water for a while.
One butt won't do it. Gotta have a decently full or
properly sized cooler. (why call it a cooler when it's a
warmer????)

If you keep the cooler full of meat & towels...and keep the lid CLOSED...it will stay hot for several hours. If you open the lid to check temps, your gonna have trouble holding temp.

But if the temp falls below 140, what is gonna happen? Is it going to explode? You're not running a restaurant so don't get too caught up in the law surrounding that industry.

And if it's the US Food Code you're emulating, then the temp you need to be worried about is 135...not 140. And once you reach that temp you still have four hours to use the product.

Back