Sausage Casings questions

captmoby

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I make a fair amount of sausage, buying the casing from many sources both lamb and hog. Recently I bought some Johnsonville Italian sausage stripped the casing off to use just the meat not in link form. I noticed the eveness of the casing and wondered why are the casings that they use so different than what we seem to be able to purchase? Or are they not natural? They sure act like it when you try and grind them in the disposal. They sure dont behave like collegen casings. But they are so thin and flawless.
Anybody have any input on this? What do they use and how are the casings so perfect?

I have no input, but a supposition.

And that is that because of the volume they go through, they might well have an operation that feeds them the best casings of a particular size, from a particular part of the pig. The other possibility, is that they are treating them in some manner to make stuffing them easier. There are many enzymes that are used in commercial food production (you didn't think they peeled all those Mandarin oranges did you?), perhaps there is one that allows you to form natural casings.

Back