Myron Mixson smoker question...

porkingINpublic

is one Smokin' Farker
I am looking to switch from a Backwoods party to a MMS 36 or 48.
What are you guys using for heat/smoke in a MMS? Charcoal and wood chunks or actual logs?

Love the concept of the MMS but I'm not sure I wanna go back to finding and feeding logs to a smoker. lol

i have the MMS 48 and freaking love it! very nice smoker. I pretty much do my fires with a small bed of charcoal and then throw small logs on throughout the cook.

But if wood was hard to get or a burden to acquire you could use more charcoal and less wood.

but keep in mind that it is pretty built to be a stick burner. that is the design. it's very well insulated so you dont have to have a ton of wood for a 5-7 hour cook but it does require considerably more fuel than say what I normally see gravity fed guys using.

but for me, i love the whole experience of acquiring the wood and throwing sticks during the cook. it just makes it more fun for me. more work? yes, but i feel like it's worth it to me.

how many logs would you say you use for a 5-7 hour cook. I am the rib and chicken cook so thats about the max I run my cooker unless I'm doing something at home for a cookout. I've had one of the HUGE Jacks Old South cookers and it was a log hog. lol

I have the MMS-60 and couldn't be happier with it. I use charcoal/oak splits to create the bed of coals and then continue to feed it medium sized wood splits throughout the cook (I typically allocate out 2 splits per hour for each cook).

Like masque said, it is insulated and holds heat very well, but it is a large cooker so it requires a fairly significant amount of fuel.

Keep in mind with the flat rack cookers, you need to fill the water pan and keep it filled throughout the cook. Easy if you have a water supply, a bit of a pain if you have to do it manually. I ended up going with the gravity feed V33 and love it.

yea thats another issue i'm debating... Some cooks we go to don't have a very good water supply. they want you to go haul it. May only be a problem 1 time a year but still deciding if thats worth it or not. Does the water pan remove out of the MMS 60?

I had a Backwoods competitor and it didn't remove, was a pain to keep clean

In my Backwoods and Humphreys, I used firebricks in the water pan instead of water, can that be done in these?

The water pan does not come out. You must use water when cooking or you can damage the cooker.

It's hard to say how much wood I use because I split mine into very slim pieces. But typically one decent sized tote will do it.

While it's much easier to cook when water is readily available we have managed just fine when running water was not available. You just have to be prepared to feed it as needed.

Once again I'm a big believer in the water pan process so it's something I am willing to deal with.

Like masque said, the water pan does not come out and it is not recommended to cook without using water.

For those not familiar with the set up of the cooker, it has a automatic fill system with a float box that connects to a water hose, so you can have a constant supply of water running to the cooker without ever having to open the cooker to refill the water in the pan. If you are ever in a situation where you do not have a constant water supply, you can either open the doors of the cooker and refill it or even refill it through the site glass that is located near the float box (this process would be a bit more tedious).

As far as cleaning the water pan, it is very simple and not labor intensive. There is a drainage valve on the back of the cooker that can be opened to drain all of the water. Once the water is removed, it is nothing more than removing the racks and scrubbing/rinsing down the water pan.

Hope this was helpful.

The water pan does not come out. You must use water when cooking or you can damage the cooker.

It's hard to say how much wood I use because I split mine into very slim pieces. But typically one decent sized tote will do it.

While it's much easier to cook when water is readily available we have managed just fine when running water was not available. You just have to be prepared to feed it as needed.

Once again I'm a big believer in the water pan process so it's something I am willing to deal with.

If you manage temperature how does/can it damage the smoker?

If you manage temperature how does/can it damage the smoker?

I can only assume that it may warp the water pan or something along those lines. I just know that when I purchased the smoker the "manual" indicated that it was a large "no no" to cook without water and claimed that it can damage the water pan if cooking without water.

I never was brave enough to test the validity of the statement. I just assumed they were correct.

Back