Chicken Help Part 2

zubby01

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Many thanks to all of you who offered tips and suggestions for cooking chicken on my kettle. I took some ideas and added some others.

I cooked chicken breasts for me and thighs for the family.

For the breasts, I marinated them a few hours in Italian dressing. I got them a little too close to the flames due to the space on my grill. I kept checking the temp but they looked like they were going to burn and weren't anywhere near 165. So, I took someone's suggestion and threw them in the microwave. You can see how juicy they turned out. SO much better than the dry ones I was doing on the gas grill before.

I followed a sear and boil in sauce method I saw on YouTube for the thighs. They were really, really good as well. I'm supposed to be eating healthier but had to have one of these to try for myself.

Added some roasted taters and broccoli (wouldn't fit on the plate) and hope your dinner was as good as mine.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 187
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 186
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 187
Chicken looks good. Next time just cook it on the other side of the grill and not over the flame. It looks like you had a 2 zone set up from your pic but you have the chicken over the fire. You can try brining the chicken breasts too.

Good Show !!!

Glad it worked out well &* you're getting a moister, better flavor product......

That's an 18" right?

Maybe try just piling them up on top of each other in the cooler zone as they get close to done........not so close to the fire still will finish off the cook nice.......

I rarely cook a breast whole. Usually I smack it down sorta thin like ... marinade the same .. then quick cook .. less time always moist. Yours looks great !!!

Nice chicken Zubby. I wouldn't worry about that little bit of char. You should seem some of the burnt offerings I have made before...

Next time, if you are running a little low on space, try standing some of the meat on it's side, maybe slightly leaning against another piece, or just keep moving pieces around.

You could always get another / bigger kettle... :mrgreen:

My granny use to tell me that she charred her food because it kept us from getting a belly ache....LOL

They look great and I like a bit of char on there. Try grilling chicken pieces with a bit less heat than you would for a steak and there is less chance of flare up or drying them out.

Cook them over direct heat and get the skin the way you want it and move to cool side and put lid on and let them finish. Works for me, I usually cook thighs don't much care for white meat.

My granny use to tell me that she charred her food because it kept us from getting a belly ache....LOL

Your Granny was a smart person! The char will actually act as an absorber/diluter of excess stomach acid. Health food stores sell charcoal capsules just for that purpose. Much better for you than a Tums or Rolaids.

Omar

Back