THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thos13

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
I know there are a bunch of competition classes being conducted by some of the top names on the circuit. I am looking for any recommendations for a class that would provide the most benefit and results for a new KCBS competitor just starting out.

Matt Barber from Hot Wachula's is having classes this fall and winter.

He has been tearing it up on the circuit this year! I'm hoping to make one of his classes!

Tuffy Stone's would be a good one and also Rod Grey's. Oh yeah, I forgot about Rub Bagby's class...:oops:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Rub
I always thought a team would get the most benefit taking a class from someone that cooks on the same/similar equipment they use. This way they can mimic procedures and get like results.

This is solid advice for a new team. Will give you a process you can use without having to modify from the outset.

I always thought a team would get the most benefit taking a class from someone that cooks on the same/similar equipment they use. This way they can mimic procedures and get like results.

I agree and my team cooks on a Myron Mixon MMS-48......and next weekend we are heading down the Jack's Old South school!

Scottie Johnson & Cancer Sucks Chicago!!!! I cooked four contests last year got hooked and wanted to do better. I took the class February and got my first GC a couple of weeks ago. He had several top teams teaching their twist on the catagories and on different types of cookers. As stated above the money raised from the class goes to cancer research. It's a win win.....you up your game in BBQ and help others in the process!!!!!!!!!

I know there are a bunch of competition classes being conducted by some of the top names on the circuit. I am looking for any recommendations for a class that would provide the most benefit and results for a new KCBS competitor just starting out.

Just starting out? as in, haven't cooked BBQ before? limited experience or what?

Scottie's class in the Chicago suburbs in January or February (Do you have a date yet, Scottie?) is excellent and the proceeds go to benefit cancer research!

It is usually the second weekend in February. I don't have exact figures, but we have cleared well over $100,000 from these classes for cancer research. Not only top notch instructors, we also have an outstanding goody bag. Probably well over $100 in products.

If you are a beginner...look to your local bbq association for classes...they are informative and inexpensive. Also look for successful local teams teaching in your area...they know how to cook for the local judging pool.

If you are looking to up your game on a national level...look to the pros that are tried and true...that win year after year. Also look to see who is cooking your style...ie...Hot-N-Fast or Low-N-Slow...and the gear they cook on.

We take a class every two years just to keep abreast of the latest from the top teams and to incorporate any new tips, tricks, or techniques that will up our game.

Good luck...:cool:

SInce you are new, i would take a good, inexpensive, class. Pick one that cooks with a similar type of smoker you use if you can (This is not super important but sure helps a bit). You will be totally overwhelmed with the amount of information you get in your first class. To me, my first class was what i wanted to learn the basics from and it also taught me how to learn from future BBQ classes. For a first class, i highly recommend Rod Grey from Pellet Envy.

I'm going to go against the grain on this one.

I suggest you DON'T take a class immediately. Just go out and cook a contest! Enjoy yourself and all the challenges of cooking in a field with a ticking clock as your master. Go out with the goal having fun and not finishing dead last.

Once you've cooked a show, (or two or three) you will have gained an understanding of the framework of competition cooking. That knowledge will give you a context that will help you absorb and understand the value of what you are being taught when you do take a class later on. There is so much about competition BBQ that is foreign to the backyard cook that I think it's best to break it down into chunks. My feeling is that you must first know what the problems are before you seek solutions.

Most importantly, your first event should be fun and exciting! Go out and see how what you are doing now stacks up before you start looking to change it. You might be surprised...

I'm going to go against the grain on this one.

I suggest you DON'T take a class immediately. Just go out and cook a contest! Enjoy yourself and all the challenges of cooking in a field with a ticking clock as your master. Go out with the goal having fun and not finishing dead last.

Once you've cooked a show, (or two or three) you will have gained an understanding of the framework of competition cooking. That knowledge will give you a context that will help you absorb and understand the value of what you are being taught when you do take a class later on. There is so much about competition BBQ that is foreign to the backyard cook that I think it's best to break it down into chunks. My feeling is that you must first know what the problems are before you seek solutions.

Most importantly, your first event should be fun and exciting! Go out and see how what you are doing now stacks up before you start looking to change it. You might be surprised...

I'm going to agree here. We did 3 contests before we did a class (if Kosmos Q counts as a class). I have to say I think doing the contests first helped us understand the "why" question. Such as why certain cuts were made during trimming (to make it fit the box)

Back