THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I took Rod Gray's class and would highly recommend it. He's a great guy.

I've seen the debates of "take class" or "don't take class" ahead of competing and totally get both sides of the argument. But having just completed my first comp this past weekend (a regular KCBS comp) I don't know how I would have done it without what I learned in the class I took. More than anything I learned a basic timeline to follow for the comp, which is absolutely essential for a successful competition. Also a basic flavor profile to start out with which was a huge help in light all the rub/sauce combinations that are out there.

Given the cost - $250 entry fee, $300 of meat, and who knows how much I spent on various supplies, not to mention three days off of work to prepare - I think it's definitely worth the money to take a class if you really are intent on participating in traditional KCBS events.

Now having done my first event and getting a feel for it, I'm going to start making some adjustments to make my cook really my own. Dial back the temps a bit...change some of the rub/sauce combos....trim the meat a bit differently. All things I've learned here and there from fellow Brethren and other competitors whom have been nice enough to help out and offer their suggestions. But the class itself at least gave me a "template" of sorts to start from.

On the other side of the coin, if you're just looking to do some backyard comps or some one-off events (a rib contest here, a pork butt contest there) then you'd probably be best saving your money and just getting your feet wet at the actual event.

Just my two cents. The added benefit of Rod Gray's class is you have a ton of BBQ joints to sample in KC while you're there.

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
I've seen the debates of "take class" or "don't take class" ahead of competing and totally get both sides of the argument. ... More than anything I learned a basic timeline to follow for the comp, which is absolutely essential for a successful competition. Also a basic flavor profile to start out with which was a huge help in light all the rub/sauce combinations that are out there.

My advice was based on a preconceived notion that somebody who is considering entering the world of competition BBQ is already an experienced cook that has been cooking successfully in an non-competition environment. Usually folks come to the circuit because friends and family have been telling them "they make the best BBQ around" so they should go try their hand against "those guys on TV".

In this scenario I think it is important to do just that - try your existing recipes and techniques at a contest. Only then will you know how your product actually fares with the judges. Unless you do this, you'll always wonder about it.

I didn't consider the possibility that someone with little or no smoking experience would want to dive in to competition BBQ by buying someone else's playbook and following it step by step. I suppose that could happen, but it seems weird to me. Barbecue is a world that prides itself on authenticity and tradition, and the idea of rubber-stamping competition teams makes me sad.

Mind you I'm not passing judgment on anyone specifically, I'm just enough of a traditionalist to mourn the passing of a bygone era I guess.

Oh, and you rotten kids stay off my lawn! /old man fist shake

I went to Jack's Old South cook school in 2010. The rest is history.
I don't know how many classes offer hands-on, but Myron does. The students prep ribs, butts, shoulders, brisket and chicken. The only thing that's not hands on is whole hog - you get to watch the prep on Saturday and eat it on Sunday.
I also signed up for Trigg's class, but cooked with him at the Royal instead of going to class. There's a lot of good pitmasters offering classes these days.
By the way.... Michael Character is doing a cook school.

My .02 cooking in Wi . I have had Rod Grey and Corn Fed classes .One of our team members has been to Scotties classes . With out giving others names you will see here in Wi that are doing well have been at these 3 . If they are a top competitor and doing a class I bet it is worth the price . One of my friends here in Wi took a class from one of the best out there but from a different area of the country . His taste scores were not good but all other parts of the cook were great but the flavors he learned in that class were not accepted well by the judges here . If you would like to discuss some of this in person come out to the Puckaway contest next weekend and if I can find time I will tell you more . My time that weekend will be limited as my teamate who usually cooks with me will be competing as his own team so I will be busier then normal .

By the way.... Michael Character is doing a cook school.

Macaulay-Culkin-home-alone.jpg

Scottie has good instructors. Last year he had three top notch instructors besides himself. Where else can you get inside the minds of four world class cooks. And not that far of a drive for you. Have heard good things about Joe and Ryan's Cornfed class And Rod Grays class. I'm sure that most of the classes are top notch and as stated the type of cookers used may be a big factor in your decision. How much you get out of any class will be determined by how well you listen and ask questions, take notes and your ability to adapt the techniques learned into your own program.

Thanks guys for the recommendations and comments. I competed in 6 comps this year with some success. Planning on Mixon's class this winter as I own one of his MMS48's. I would like to attend one additional class. Just want to find the right class that would help me the most.

I agree with most all of what has been said above. America is the land of opportunity and we are blessed with lots of top level classes to choose from. At any given time there are usually 2-3 classes I would like to take.

You have to decide what you want:
A tell-all so you can follow the instructor's exact recipes that he wins with?
Hot and fast for a specific cooker, maybe with recipes?
A techniques class like mine that covers proven methods for most cookers and discusses flavors that win?
A combination type class?
A class from a TV celebrity in a large setting?
They all have their positives and negatives.

And how far are you willing to travel and spend on travel? Some may be a higher cost, but closer to you. Some may be less expensive but you have to buy a plane ticket to get there.
Follow-up? Is that included, or is the instruction over once class ends?
Teaching skills? Can the instructor effectively communicate the material?
What is the instructor's knowledge based on? One hot season? 50 contests? 300 contests?
How many GC's and RGC's do they have? Is what they teach repeatable year after year?
Do you just want to know how? Or do you also want to know why?
How many classes/people has the person taught? Have they gone on to be successful?
How many students in a class?

You can see there's lots of things to consider when choosing - these are just some of them. Ask around, talk to the instructors and get answers to your questions before you sign up. Properly researched, a class can save you valuable time and money in the long run. Good luck!

My advice was based on a preconceived notion that somebody who is considering entering the world of competition BBQ is already an experienced cook that has been cooking successfully in an non-competition environment. Usually folks come to the circuit because friends and family have been telling them "they make the best BBQ around" so they should go try their hand against "those guys on TV".

In this scenario I think it is important to do just that - try your existing recipes and techniques at a contest. Only then will you know how your product actually fares with the judges. Unless you do this, you'll always wonder about it.

I didn't consider the possibility that someone with little or no smoking experience would want to dive in to competition BBQ by buying someone else's playbook and following it step by step. I suppose that could happen, but it seems weird to me. Barbecue is a world that prides itself on authenticity and tradition, and the idea of rubber-stamping competition teams makes me sad.

Mind you I'm not passing judgment on anyone specifically, I'm just enough of a traditionalist to mourn the passing of a bygone era I guess.

Oh, and you rotten kids stay off my lawn! /old man fist shake

First off, taking a class before or after your first contest is a heated debate and I'm not sure there is a correct answer. It all depends on your personal objectives.

To Gowan's point, I was told by everyone that tasted my Q and specifically my homemade rub that it was "the best they've ever eaten". So i decided to put my flavor profile up against the pros. Surprisingly I've gotten a couple of calls in as many contests with my homemade stuff. That's what makes BBQ special. The ability to go out there and win with your own stuff.

To step up my game I purchased the Kosmos Q DVDs and no doubt it HALVED the learning curve for me. I'm still incorporating my own flavors into my meats but in order to win a GC i know I have to either learn from the pros or have a lot of trial and error myself.

I have taken a few classes. My experience as a student has taught me a lot about cooking and learning. I recommend taking a class with a local team first. Hold off on the big names for now. You have to learn how to approach learning at a bbq class.

Bring a friend with you or exchange email addresses with class mates. Trade notes and bounce problems you are having replicating the process off of those contacts. It helps to have an outside perspective.

I took a great brisket class with Gary Arlett of 'Pits'burgh Smokers. It was a good class and Gary is one heck of a great guy. He only charged $25 for that one. For the money it was well worth it. I recommend his class for a starter class. You learn a lot and he presents all the information very well. Top notch teacher for sure. He offers private lessons too so check his website out just google the team name. I have no business afilliation with him. We just competed against each other and I took a class from him.

The next class I recommend is DivaQ's one day 4 meat class. Bring a friend. A very good teacher. After this class we got a first place ribs call in a backyard event. It was just an awesome class. I didn't copy her completely but her techniques are just amazing. Simple enough for anyone to do but pure genius. For $400 for both my wife and myself to go it has helped tremendously. Everyone should consider this class.

Third class I recommend is with Dan Hixon of Three Eyez BBQ. Take this last as it is very very fast paced. I wish I would have taken this one later. Every contest we competed at where he has been at he has won the pro side. So yeah he knows what he is doing clearly. The notes I got from his class I read through them and it seems like they make more sense as I learn more. Take other classes first and compete a few times then take his class. It will make more sense to you if you go about it this way. I would say it is a good class for someone that feels they are comfortable wih comp bbq but wants to up their game.

Good luck with whatever class you choose to take and have fun but remember you aren't there to bull chit you are there to learn.

Scottie's class in the Chicago suburbs in January or February (Do you have a date yet, Scottie?) is excellent and the proceeds go to benefit cancer research!

Scottie Johnson & Cancer Sucks Chicago!!!! I cooked four contests last year got hooked and wanted to do better. I took the class February and got my first GC a couple of weeks ago. He had several top teams teaching their twist on the catagories and on different types of cookers. As stated above the money raised from the class goes to cancer research. It's a win win.....you up your game in BBQ and help others in the process!!!!!!!!!

I took one of Scotties classes a few years ago and was very impressed with both the content and the presentation.

Back