According to the book ....

qapla

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A friend of mine that I work with part-time recently got a small gas smoker (Masterbuilt). He has had it for a cople of months and had not yet used it. Last week I stayed at their house for the week (they have a nice camper I stay in) so they decided they would try the smoker since I was there.

That said, his wife picked up a two-pack of pork butts that were 3-4 pounds each. So, he "got out the book" to see how long they would take (yes, I already explained to them how to cook them).

"According to the book" he said they should take about 3 to 3 1/2 hours @ 225 :shocked:

His wife told him that if he put them in the smoker before he left for the job she could pull them around noon. (I explained that, if she pulled them [if they were actually done] she should wrap them in foil and a towel and put them in the cooler - they have a Yeti-type made by Pelican) She said she couldn't do that because they would not be safe to eat at supper time - she was going to put them in the fridge.

Well, on the way home from the job, about 5:30, he called her to see how they came out. She wasn't home. She said she had to go out and that, since they weren't done when she left, she told their son to "keep an eye on them".

He got a bit upset. He figured the money spent for them was wasted since we would get there to find two charcoal bricks in the smoker. I tried to explain that you can't go "by the book" they would be ready when they were done - and that meant they would be done when they were ready - that the only way to know was to see what the internal temp was.

Well, even thought we had talked about it more than once, he had not bought a thermometer - not an instant read or a probe.:frusty:

When we got there he remembered that his BIL had given him one of those forks that has a thermo built in (I peeked at the buts :thumb:)

He finally found his fork and checked the meat - it read right at 165 :clap2:

I had her wrap it in foil and let it rest at least a half hour. When we sliced it, nice smoke ring, nice crust, juicy, tender and very tasty.

Just goes to show, when it comes to BBQ - there really is no "According to the book" .... another one of those things newbies have a hard time getting a grasp on .... but, once they do :hungry:

Back