Red Box Smoker mods

Wesburns

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I picked up a Red Box Smoker last week and am contemplating mods based on the seasoning sessions I had over the weekend. I have a long list of great things to say about this little smoker, but to stay on topic I will talk about where I would improve.

I dislike the lower door venting and noticed it "backdrafting" a little when the wind blew. I'd like to mod the fire box to adapt to a BBQ Guru or PitmasterIQ setup. I'm thinking a hole into the side with a 1" fitting would work well. I'd need to sleeve it to avoid collapsing the insulated cavity. The forced air from the Guru/PitmasterIQ fan should negate backdraft.

A smoker stand would be nice, but nothing is on the market. I've seen a great stand made on the forum here, but being 6'4", I'd like mine higher. Center of gravity becomes an issue then however. Has anyone else designed an attachable stand that has a wider base allowing for more height? I'd like around 30"-36" of additional height to save my back when pulling grates and tending to the coals.

I'd also like a cover since it will be stored in the corner of my garage. I weld, woodwork, paint etc in the garage and would like to keep the perty red perty for years to come. Has anyone found a cover that fits well?

Although the initial burn lasted for 4-6 hours at a steady 325 (empty pan), I'd like to mod the firebox to have room for the coals to ash. I feel like a long burn (brisket) would require removal of the firebox, cleaning, and starting all over since there's no room for ash. Otherwise, added coals would another in the bed of ash if you added them to the existing fire.

I am also looking to add a rack location dead center. Seems like it would allow for more capacity of larger cuts if the top rack were 2" lower. I'm thinking with two racks, you could squeeze 2 - 10 lb shoulders in there... Or 2 whole chickens. Otherwise, the top rack doesn't leave enough room on the factory located rack location. If also like to mod up 2-3 expanded metal racks. I worry that these will be flimsy once a 10 lb but sits for a while. Maybe not... But they look flimsy.

I also may be surprised in 5 years when the seals are still holding up, but right now I envision needing to replace them with a more rigid fire rope seal. They are very soft and pliable. They seal GREAT! I'm just worried how long I'll be able to say that.

Like I said, overall this is a great smoker. Id buy it again in a heartbeat. But to make it mine, I plan on messing with it.

What mods have you guys done? I'll add pics if/when I get around to the above.

Hopefully, this isn't the only smoker you own?

The Red Box is ideal for wings, smoking Salmon, a few ribs. Ok for 4 hour smokes, IMO. I wouldn't even consider doing a butt or brisket in it. The firebox is way too small for long smokes and regulating and trying to maintain low temps are a challenge over a few hours.

Hopefully, this isn't the only smoker you own?

The Red Box is ideal for wings, smoking Salmon, a few ribs. Ok for 4 hour smokes, IMO. I wouldn't even consider doing a butt or brisket in it. The firebox is way too small for long smokes and regulating and trying to maintain low temps are a challenge over a few hours.

It's the newest smoker I own. And I disagree about it being too small for throwing a butt in it. It's a perfect size to take camping or to the lake. With a few tweaks I think it could be more versatile than you give it credit.

3_zps8bjquyj4.jpg

i would like to have SmokerKing build me a stand (yes the 3rd time i have made this request:tsk:) and that would probably be the only thing i would change except the therm. on my initial cook i ran at 225 for 30 minutes then 300-325 for 5 hours and then 275 for 1 and a half hours before shutting down the intake. i would think i could cook a butt in 7 hours at 300. might get similar times with bigger meats if i were to overstuff the charcoal basket. the racks should easily hold 10LBS and i think 4.5" is just barely enough space for an 8LB butt. my big cabinet has the same 4.5" spacing and i have no issues.

P1, what are you using for fire? Lump? charcoal? I don't get close to 7 hours out of a charge. I did three racks of wings and it's all I could do to get the temp up and hold it for any length of time. Granted, it was stuffed.

I've smoked about 5 Salmon fillets and some oysters, all turned out excellent, but I don't think I'll venture into a large butt or brisket. I know it would require a couple of fire basket re-charges. Besides, I have other smokers for that.

I've found the air inlet slide pretty worthless, open or closed, the heat control seems to be how you build the fire and the wind. Mine seems to settle in around 275-300, depending on the load.

The Red Box fits that one niche that was open for me, a small smoker to smoke short cook meats.

I'll be smoking a couple more Salmon fillets this weekend! Friends and neighbors are begging for more!

Wes: I'm 6'4 as well and the cart is ok for my needs. If you want to raise the height without being top heavy, simply widen the base, mount the casters outboard of the legs, or angle the legs out instead of going vertical.

SK, going back thru my notes...
i use an all natural briq from HEB. i used a lot of small wood chunks along with a pretty stuffed charcoal basket. i also use some small hot dog grates under the charcoal to let it breathe a little. these little grates are designed to keep hot dogs from rolling around on the grill. i tried a maze but the temps would not get over 150 so i took out the maze and starting with 1 cube lighter it ran for a long time. i literally placed the charcoal stacked up on its end, side by side to each other...kind of like dominoes but all touching and then i put the skinny wood chunks all over the top. if temps get too high half a cup of water will knock the temps down immediately if you run the water pan empty. if you are using water that will decrease burn times.

2 racks full was my biggest cook and that was about a 4 hour cook. didn't have to reload charcoal. don't know how much was left because you can't shut the exhaust down so it all burns up. I think you are right about it being a unit for small quick cooks. I cannot see me doing a brisket as it wouldn't fit and like you said we have other smokers for that.

SK, going back thru my notes...
i use an all natural briq from HEB. i used a lot of small wood chunks along with a pretty stuffed charcoal basket. i also use some small hot dog grates under the charcoal to let it breathe a little. these little grates are designed to keep hot dogs from rolling around on the grill. i tried a maze but the temps would not get over 150 so i took out the maze and starting with 1 cube lighter it ran for a long time. i literally placed the charcoal stacked up on its end, side by side to each other...kind of like dominoes but all touching and then i put the skinny wood chunks all over the top. if temps get too high half a cup of water will knock the temps down immediately if you run the water pan empty. if you are using water that will decrease burn times.

2 racks full was my biggest cook and that was about a 4 hour cook. didn't have to reload charcoal. don't know how much was left because you can't shut the exhaust down so it all burns up. I think you are right about it being a unit for small quick cooks. I cannot see me doing a brisket as it wouldn't fit and like you said we have other smokers for that.

:thumb: it's a unique smoker, it does have a place in my arsenal. I'm satisfied with it, quality built, works. Just a different learnin curve on fire management and temp control.

I'm going to design some type of steel pan lifter to slide under and capture the fire tray so I can remove to add chips etc. without having to use welding gloves to remove it.

:thumb: it's a unique smoker, it does have a place in my arsenal. I'm satisfied with it, quality built, works. Just a different learnin curve on fire management and temp control.

I'm going to design some type of steel pan lifter to slide under and capture the fire tray so I can remove to add chips etc. without having to use welding gloves to remove it.

i bet a heavy duty rib spatula type thing would work. if you are going to that much trouble why not make a deeper/better charcoal basket? i line my fb floor with hd foil to keep it cleaner. i don't know if an ash pan would fit well.

I agree P1. A larger coal basket with a little room to ash would add a few hours to the fire. Combine this with a better way to regulate airflow and I could see 6-8 hours easy from this smoker.

Not a lot of room for a larger fire tray. There is only 2" from top of tray to bottom of water pan, then you have to lift it 1" to get over the door lip. Tray is full depth.

I think from a dimensional point, it's as big as you can make the fire tray. Now, a new design could incorporate expanded metal, etc. But, I get plenty of heat out of mine without water in the pan.

Wesburns:
I am about to cut a hole the in the side of mine and put a GURU on it. I'll post pics as soon as I have it done.

I'm way more excited about this than I probably should be. Take pics and let us know how it turns out. Thanks for posting!

Maybe a shorter water pan would allow more room for a bigger charcoal basket.

Maybe a shorter water pan would allow more room for a bigger charcoal basket.

I should take the pan out and replace it with a sheet of perforated steel since I don't use it anyway. The one time I used the water pan, the damn thing would not get up to temp, major heat sink in this box.

I should take the pan out and replace it with a sheet of perforated steel since I don't use it anyway. The one time I used the water pan, the damn thing would not get up to temp, major heat sink in this box.

I think I have some small 16g pieces laying around somewhere that might fit. Thanks for the idea.

Back