Brisky, sausage, & pulled pork for 300

traviosoway

Got Wood.
Reaction score
A good friend has asked me to do brisket, sausage, and pulled pork for 300 for his daughter's wedding. I've done pulled pork for 100 for work events, tailgates, and such. Usually I do 1/2 lb raw (1/4 lb cooked) for pulled pork and have more than enough. Is brisket the same, or because it's whole, does it not stretch as far? What are the meat poundage suggestions? Thanks!!!

When only doing one meat I figure 1/2 lbs per person regardless of meat (pulled pork,brisket or sausage). Since you are doing 3 different meats for 300 you will want to come up with a ratio that gets you to at least 150 lbs. I would let your friend determine that ratio after you tell him/her the cost for each.

Here in Virginia the pork would be my main meat but you being in Texas I know dat ain't so. This could change drastically based on region but here I'd be at 4oz pork, 3oz brisket per person and 100 links or so. You may want to swap those brisket and pork numbers and add some links as they are way more popular in Texas than here. I figure 50% yield on pork (though I get closer to 55-58%) and 45% yield on whole packer briskets.

I would go with 1/4 pound of each per person. Dependent upon sides. Yes, there will be leftovers. If I was to go lighter, it would be on the pulled pork.

I would agree with the suggestions of all the previous posters on how to arrive at raw/cooked quantities.

My only question is how are you serving the brisket? When you say, "or because it's whole, does it not stretch as far?", I am assuming that you are planning to serve the brisket SLICED. We serve ALL of our brisket PULLED. This makes it much easier to gauge the serving size and allows for less waste.

Morning Wood's post, " I would let your friend determine that ratio after you tell him/her the cost for each", is exactly how our contracts are written. We provide all of the technical data, such as suggested serving sizes per person based on the overall mix of food items, and let the customer tell us how much of each they want. This puts the accountability of running short/over on quantities on them and not you.

I would agree with the suggestions of all the previous posters on how to arrive at raw/cooked quantities.

My only question is how are you serving the brisket? When you say, "or because it's whole, does it not stretch as far?", I am assuming that you are planning to serve the brisket SLICED. We serve ALL of our brisket PULLED. This makes it much easier to gauge the serving size and allows for less waste.

Morning Wood's post, " I would let your friend determine that ratio after you tell him/her the cost for each", is exactly how our contracts are written. We provide all of the technical data, such as suggested serving sizes per person based on the overall mix of food items, and let the customer tell us how much of each they want. This puts the accountability of running short/over on quantities on them and not you.

Pulled brisket?
I've never even heard of pulled brisket.
Not that means anything of course, I've just only ever heard or seen it served sliced is all.

Pulled brisket?
I've never even heard of pulled brisket.
Not that means anything of course, I've just only ever heard or seen it served sliced is all.

Yep. It's a big hit around here (western KS). We cook the briskies until they literally fall apart. :mrgreen: This is also how we serve brisket sammies at the festival events we attend.

Not us in the vid but it gives a close representation of how we cook/serve it. We use a knife to cut across the grain of the finished product so that the "strings" are not too long when we pull with our gloves.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3VCYmdbQBo"]LINK[/ame]

This link shows how the knife is used to cut pieces off the brisket for pulling.

LINK

Back