Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Smokin in Steele, Owatonna, MN June 3,4

carlyle

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This is the 9th year our Knights of Columbus Council has organized this contest to raise money for Special Olympics.

Quick review: $10,000 paying to 10 places in all 4 categories plus GC & RGC
On our county fairgrounds so power, light and water are close to your spot, indoor toilets and showers, regular ice delivery and trash pickup.

New this year is Steak Grilling competition ( sanctioned) Friday night.
$1000 to winner. Total purse $2000 over 5 places. Certified steak judges.
Register quick for $75.

Kids Q - no fee to register. 7-10 Hamburger, 11-14 Steak - meat provided.
Thanks to generous sponsors Quetopia, Dipstix, and Vaughn Wood, $100 for First place, $75 for second, $50 for third for each group. Big thanks Tony.
Plus generous goody bags and you can even keep the grill.

Backyard if filling fast. Besides our purse of !00% of registration fee, Fareway Foods has extra money for those buying their meat at Fareway.

Also new this year: For all those registered for Smokin in Steele and Mankato
Cookout ( following weekend and 30 miles away) by Friday night June 3,
one lucky winner will be drawn to win free entries to both contests next year.
And if you want to park your rig in Owatonna for the week between contests, we will have a place for you. Just one way that Minnesota organizers work together to help each other out.

That is the BBQ, but we are a full festival weekend with 12 award winning Blues Bands - voted Best Music Festival in Southern Minnesota.
Also free Blues 4 Kids harmonica lessons, 5K run, family bicycle cruise, antique tractor show and hot rod show.

We have got it going on. Come join the fun and see what we are all about.

Online registration and all the info about us at our website.

So who is coming ?

Oversize Load will be stretching our legs up there for our first Minnesota contest.

Will be arriving early and staying over. Heard lots's of good things about this one.

I'll be up there to judge for both weekends. If Mankato is anything like Owatonna it will be a GREAT week in the land of giant 'skeeters. :razz:

You owe it to yourself to cook Smokin In Steele, one of the best contests in the Upper Midwest. Returning teams know why.

Well hey, if your going to have a Fat Freddy then gotta have a Fat Eddie also...
Ed

Freddy, really glad you are coming.
Jeff, looking forward to meeting you.
Dave- always a good time when we get together.
Dustin - thanks for the kind words
And Ed - oh my. What can I say? Fat is where it is at? Fat is flavor? Nah.
I got it- don't trust a skinny BBQ guy! That is more positive.
We are gonna have a good time!

There is also a free cooks breakfast Saturday morning made and served by our
own KC Breakfast Crew. It is a treat, don't miss it.

Wouldn't miss it, entry in the mail today! One of the best contests we do all year. And Saturday night is pretty fun also!!!

Thanks Justin.

Looking forward to seeing you and having some time with you.

Could being a favorite have anything to do with winning GC twice ??

And Saturday night is a lot of fun for us seeing all the teams and judges having a great time together after the contest is all over.

And then there is the pancake breakfast Sunday morning.

For the Friday night Steak Competition sanctioned by SCA, the cooks meeting

will be at 4:30 Friday afternoon and turn ins at from 7 to 7:30 pm

Judges have applied at the SCA site, and we will be working on judge selection

and notification tonight.

Remember, we are awarding $1000 to win this steak comp. with a total purse

of $2000 over the top 5 spots. Still time to register for that.

I've heard about the fun in Owatonna. My granny told me "There ain't nuttin funner than fun". So I guess if Fat Freddy is going, Smokin Dinger will be there also.

Hey Dinger,
I smiled great big when I saw your application come in.

Looking forward to some good times.

Think about staying over Saturday night. A bunch of teams and judges do that.

We have a blast, and I finally have some time to relax and celebrate.

Sadly Rub My Rack BBQ will not be able to attend this great contest hosted by my K of C brothers. Tried to shoehorn it in our schedule but just couldn't make it happen.
We absolutely loved this competition last year..great competitors, music, facility, organizers, and uber family friendly showdown. Maybe I can convince my co cook bride that she needs to bring a impromptu fire dance down to Owatonna next year to make amends! ��
Have a great year guys!

Hey Dinger,
I smiled great big when I saw your application come in.

Looking forward to some good times.

Think about staying over Saturday night. A bunch of teams and judges do that.

We have a blast, and I finally have some time to relax and celebrate.
We already had that in our plans. Thanx. See ya next week.

Stan,
Thanks for the kind words. And it won't be the same without you.

Know that you are welcome whenever you can make it.

Good to hear Dinger. We will have a good Minnesota welcome for the Nebraska guy & gal.

Carlyle, do you have an updated team list? It's always nice going into a comp of who we're donating our money to that weekend. :razz:

Hey Sparta -
We were in Sparta last week. Had lunch at the soda fountain - great sandwiches and
white chicken chili - and one of the few places that I can still get a phosphate. Plus my wife likes the quilt store a block up the street.

I don't have an updated list. In our crew, I am the judge guy and we have a different

registration guy who keeps the list.

What I do know is that the team count is up to 50. And the teams are a real mix.

We have multiple Jack winners, multiple AR winners. multiple Sams Club winners,

plus the teams that compete against them every weekend. Plus some brand new teams

we have never seen before, and a couple that will be their first or second contest.

So, you are in the mix, and we judges have absolutely now idea whose entry it is that they are judging.

What I do know is that you are going to have a good time.

And with 50 teams, we are not full yet, we have room. Come register.

You won't be sorry you did.

Just a reminder-

Our Kids Q has no registration fee, we provide the meat, you provide the garnish

and know how. And there are no rules on garnish. Present your entry how ever you wish.

Best of all , thanks to Quetopia, Dipstix, and Vaughn Wood there are cash prizes

and great goody bags for all.

Ages 7-10 cook hamburger, 11-14 cook steak.

Limit of 30 teams. 15 for each age group.

This event is very popular with our locals, and spots are filling up.

Better register now. You don't want your talented young pitmaster to feel left out.

News Flash !
Just found out last night - Kingsford will match our first place money for the SCA steak

comp. Friday evening, if you are using Kingsford. And we will have some on hand if you

don't.

That makes our payouts just for the SCA steak comp look like this:

1st $1000 plus $1000 for the Kingsford match - that's right , 2 grand to win !
2nd $500
3rd $ 250
4th $150
5th $100

How is that for a few minutes work on a Friday night???

Ya think you can cook steak?

Come show us !

We will be taking entries right up to cooks meeting at 4:30 Friday afternoon.

Back